Vertical Radials

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K3OHU, Oct 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K3OHU

K3OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

A very long time ago when I was 13 years old, I had a much smarter friend who was 15. He told me that the ends of the radials should be connected to driven grounds. I spent many weeks trying to pound 5 foot sections of electrical conduit into the hard soil in my parent's back yard at the ends of my 15 meter radials. Well, after almost 6 decades, I've never heard of or seen any suggestion that this was a good idea. Now, through the magic of the internet, I can ask if anyone else has heard of this. I think it was a total waste of time, energy and conduit.

2. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

He was only right on, with playing cards, clothespins, and bicycle wheel
    spokes.

KA2RRK

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

It sounds to me like he didn't want you to have a signal

4. KA2RRK

There is nothing really wrong with doing this but it services very little towards performance . I use AL GUTTER nails to effect wire tension on radials (very little) I've installed. So they won't move too much during work sessions... But these were placed at radial insulated wire ends, and no effort to connect them to the nails.

But, looking at these pictures I can see that the kid thought they might help.

page_051_100-10.png

24180031.gif

Confused with this system perhaps?
    4.10-General-Image-2.jpg

But, I really think he was having fun with you.

KA2RRK

5. KA2RRK

Seems your not alone.

http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/qsl-radials.htm

Or in PDF

KA2RRK

Attached Files:

6. K3OHU

K3OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

I could try to ask my old friend, but I hadn't seen him since the early 60's when his family moved. A few years ago I looked him up and contacted him via email hoping to reignite our old friendship, but he had no recollection of me, and said he didn't remember much from the 60's. I don't know if it was old age memory loss, or substance abuse later in the 60's. :eek: We had some unusual antennas. He made a 40 meter beer can vertical. I don't know how it stayed together for so long. My dad wasn't a beer drinker so I made a 15 meter vertical out of concentrated orange juice cans soldered end to end. It didn't take much of a wind to break it. :D

KA2RRK likes this.
  7. KA2RRK

Then you'll enjoy this.

KA2RRK

NH7RO likes this.
  8. N8CMQ

N8CMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your antenna system was well grounded DC wise, but for RF, more radials was the answer.

And I don't remeber the 70s as well as I should ;)