vertical polarization and horizantal can i deploy 2 antennas

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by RTCY, Jun 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. RTCY

RTCY QRZ Member

Greetings as I am learning , I have come across this in the study manual and several videos , specially the part where if you are say using a vertical polarization antenna and the person on the other side is using a horizontal one, , there is a significant loss . and I was wondering what would happen IF , i deploy 2 in each configuration say 1/4 wave apart from each other and transmit out of both simultaneously .

As you can see I'm new , so let me have it

thanks for all answers in advance

2. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

A 45* polarized antenna has less loss to V&H.

Ed

3. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess is that this would give a circular polarized transmission. These are used on satellites since it gives an equally good (or equally bad) gain on a similarly circularly polarized antenna regardless of orientation. They still need to be pointed at each other but turning it horizontal or vertical means nothing in this case.

Another answer is like WA4SIX says:
    It could give you a 45 degree polarization and therefore equally good (or bad) gain to antennas on the other end that are horizontal or vertical.

4. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

The loss is significant only if the stations are local to each other; dx signals get all mixed up through ionospheric propagation so a vertical can work very well to contact dx stations with horizontals, for instance. VHF/UHF is where the cross-polarization losses can become significant @20db)

This is a good reason to have both types of polarization; either instantly available at the flip of an antenna switch---and easier to implement if you are new to the game here.

Jeff

5. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Short answer = Yes!

And It is not necessary to space 1/4 wavelength unless, in the special case, you are using 2 equal length feedlines to obtain circular polarization.

Rege

6. RTCY

RTCY QRZ Member

Gents thank you all for your answers. now to figure out, what's next. seems in my yard situation vertical will be my second attempt,

thank you all

7. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

RTCY what band(s) are we talking.
    If VHF UHF yes polarization matters
    If HF, not so much for high angle short hop and not at all for long hop.

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

For HF , operation where the angle of launch is more importaint than ACTUAL polaization, The propagation conditions and best angle of launch determine how well you can reach various target areas around the world. The polarization if usually shifted when the signal returns from the ionosphere.
    If; you are on VHF or UHF you need to match the polarization of the other end of the circut. That's a 'direct wave" going directly from your antenna to the other end's antenna.
    You can put up as many ateennas as you like. I have plenty for 160 M to 70 CM here.

9. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page