Vertical dual band, what's best?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W0PWN, Jun 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like you are thinking FM on VHF, If you ever consider using SSB/CW or DIGI modes you can get WAY over that horizon during tropo openings. You will do well to get a long Yagi, Mount it for horiz polarization and get a rotor to aim it. My best 2 M DX was on CW, 500 miles away with my Yagi up about 30 ft.

AK5B likes this.
  2. AE4JS

AE4JS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Comet GP-3. Works well and simple to set up.

3. VA3QY

VA3QY Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct; that is the longer version.

What I did is in many ways.
    - in the beginning, i had a plywood which i had sealed with epoxy; then when dried put the wire around the edge. Then later, i decided to improvsie and used a pvc pipe with T sections of metal at top and below.
    It is extremely forgiving.

4. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is simply not true. Height does help, but under favorable tropospheric conditions, VHF/UHF signals can travel hundreds of miles.

AK5B likes this.
  5. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is true.

I sort of think of a 24/7 'average reliable' range for 2m as being line of sight plus 30%, but it is frequently much, much more than that.

From central South Carolina, I can regularly reach northern Florida in the Summer mornings on 2m SSB. At 2:00pm, forget about it. If there is a storm system along the Atlantic coast, 2m signal can often travel the length of the affected area. And according to Gordon West, Southern California is frequently open to Hawaii on 2m during the Spring and Summer.

AK5B and WA3GWK like this.
  6. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure enough; tropo ducting and sporadic E (as well as meteor scatter) can provide long-distance contacts. When I lived in California decades ago I sometimes heard KH6HME's 2m cw beacon from my mobile vantage point in the Oakland Hills.

When I lived on Hawaii near South Point (BK29eb), I was blocked by Mauna Loa Volcano towards my former Bay Area home (CM87wx) ---but heard a San Diego (W6, DM12)station "testing, testing, testing" at least on two occasions via 2m sideband. That was about a 2200-mile path, not bad for 2m.

I also lived briefly in DM65 (Albuerquerque) and worked a station near Artesia (DM72, IIRC) with a little Elk LPDA up on the roof and 100 watts, 200+-miles about 5x5 both ways.

Now that I'm getting settled in to living here on the Gulf Coast, I look forward to putting up a 7 or 9 element Yagi and working some Florida tropo and occasional Es to the north and east, too.

Weak signal operating is fun, especially if you have the right gear, antennas and a bit of patience.

Jeff

K1LH likes this.