Vertical antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by M0LUX, Aug 9, 2018 at 9:36 PM.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. M0LUX

M0LUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello.

Like many radio amateurs, I have a very limited place to install an antenna. I made my choice on several variants of vertical multi-band antennas. This is Moonraker GP2500, Comet 250BHII and Diamon CP-6S. Who has experience with similar antennas? Which option would you advise? My building is brick built. Height of a three-story building about 10 meters. The antennas mast will be fix about 2.5 meters on the wall above flat roof. I secure it with heavy duty brackets. The point of fixing mast is shown on the photo.

And the last question. The best option is with or without grounding? For me, this is important, because for the maintenance of the antenna I need to order each time in the Hire Shop a push-up ladder of 10 meters.

Thank You. 73! Alex.

Attached Files:

2. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

The best antenna option is the one you build yourself, in my opinion.

Why must you mount it on the side of your building like that? A flat roof is a MUCH better site; a few feet above that and you can use elevated radials for best performance, too.

Grounding is necessary for lightning/surge protection.

Good luck with your project, I'm also a fan of elevated verticals here.

Jeff

KC8VWM likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The flat roof has no access other than by ladder? Bummer.

Anyway, even if a ladder is required, I'd use it to get up on that flat roof and install the vertical near the center of the roof rather than bracketed to the wall if at all possible.

Reasons:

Bricks are no fun to drill into.

Being set back would allow for wire radials laying on the roof, which along with a good vertical, will work much better than any kind of HF vertical that doesn't use tuned wire radials.

Being set back also makes the antenna a lot less noticeable; if you can set it "far enough" back from all edges, it's possible the antenna won't even be seen at all except from some distance away.

:)

4. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had a Comet 250B up since 2013 and, well, let's face it, it just isn't a very good antenna. The only reason it's still up is because I've been too lazy to take it down. I can't say it doesn't work, but even a wire with a tuner is going to out perform it. If you want to go with a vertical, you might want to consider something like the Gap Titan, it's certainly much more complicated to assemble than the Comet and requires a bit more space because of the counterpoise, but you'd get a lot better results with it.

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

N0YPD, WA8FOZ, KC9YGN and 1 other person like this.
  6. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KC8VWM, NH7RO and WA8FOZ like this.
  7. WB2WIK

NH7RO likes this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They're quite the catch. Pull in signals, too!

NH7RO and KC8VWM like this.
  9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Pet birds seem to like them too.

10. WB2WIK

I have some assembling one, now.

They're small, black and shiny, with little red hourglass figures on their underbellies.

Should I be worried?