ad: TIDrad-1

Vertical antenna roof mounting options

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W0MAX, Nov 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0MAX

W0MAX Guest

I would like to mount a UHF/VHF vertical on the roof. It is Diamond X300 ten feet long. The roof of the house seems like the best option but I am open to other suggestions.

One of the options I see in catalogues is a tripod. It looks like they require to be mounted right over the roof ridge.
    I would prefer that the tripod is not visible from the street to be little bit more stealthy to keep the neighbors happy.

Are there tripod or other options available so that I can mount it on one side of the roof, not over the ridge of the roof?

The radio will be located on the ground floor/basement, right behind the doors under the deck.
    I don't mind the full 10 feet of the antenna to be visible from the other side, the street. I just don't want the tripod structure to be visible from the street.

Thank you!
    Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 5.10.49 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2021 at 12:02 AM
  2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is always helpful to know where the radio will be in relation to the antenna location and the length of coax needed to reach the radio from the antenna. If you want to avoid peak of roof and visibility by neighbors the back side of the house seems a good place to consider. Is that a deck/balcony coming off the second story? If so, depending on where the radio will be a pole securely mounted on that deck may be the way to go. If the tip of your antenna is just above the peak of the roof you should be fine on coverage.

AK5B and K7TRF like this.
  3. W0MAX

W0MAX Guest

The radio will be located on the ground floor/basement, right behind the doors under the deck.
    I don't mind the full 10 feet of the antenna to be visible from the other side, the street. I just don't want the tripod to be visible from the street.

Yes, the deck is coming off the 2nd story.

4. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the deck is sturdy enough bolt a tripod down in it, use an appropriate mast, mount the antenna to that mast and you should be good

W0MAX likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There are sloped roof tripods that adjust to any roof slope if you want to do that.

Here's an example: 5 foot Heavy Duty Sloped Roof Tripod For TV CB Ham Scanner Antennas And More | eBay

W0MAX likes this.
  6. KK4OBI

KK4OBI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the Comet UHF/VHF/6M version mounted on a telescoping fiberglass pole so it is above the roof. Looking at your picture I would certainly use the deck in the same way to avoid holes in the roof for a tripod mount.

I also have a 22 foot HF vertical antenna mounted on a roof tripod in the back yard grass. The antenna is slightly elevated with feed point 7 feet off the ground. Fed with 70 feet of coax. Survived 60+ mph winds. That is my use for a tripod.

W0MAX likes this.