Vertical Antenna Placement

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W4ZWA, Nov 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4ZWA

W4ZWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought a new house with HOA. Now, the current HOA rules have no antenna restrictions but when the subdivision is complete the HOA will be in control of "us". I have plenty of room in the back yard to place the antenna out in the open but I would like to avoid getting everything set up, someone not liking the antenna and forcing me to move it.

One thought was to place it close to the house near the back of the garage where my shack will eventually go. I've included pictures to show where a antenna mast would go. Would I run into any issues being so close to the house or shack. Max output would be 100 watts, but I generally rub digital so it would really be around 20-25 watts.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. KW1K

KW1K Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a similar issue.

I use a 6BTV disguised a flagpole and set in the middle of the yard. There is a US Statute which prohibits an HOA from allowing you to have a flagpole to display the US flag. To be on the record, I sent the HOA a letter stating my intention to erect a flagpole and citing the statute.

I am an attorney and although I cannot offer legal advice, if you email me [kw1k@kw1k.net] I will send you reference to the statutes or details of my installation, photos, etc.

Joe /KW1K
    dit-dit

3. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

If possible, I'd move it a bit further away - it will couple into house wiring as well as the rain gutters (if they're metal) and you don't have much room for radials.

However, it will work - I tested a 5BTV mounted on a tripod just ten feet from my shack. You could also enclose it in a plastic or fiberglass tube and make a flagpole out of it - a popular solution with the BTV series.

Mike

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is the siding shown aluminum or vinyl, or what is it?

If it's aluminum siding, a vertical right next to it like that probably won't work well.

5. W4ZWA

Vinyl siding. regarding radials, I ran this vertical at my old house without radials and had no performance issues.

6. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

As an attorney I would have thought you'd have noticed your error before posting this:p

I believe you meant to say "....prohibits a HOA from not allowing you to have a flagpole to display the US flag."

Anyway, the flagpole idea is always a good one as long as plenty of radials are employed.

73, Jeff

7. WB2WIK

Indeed -- but if you never installed radials, then you have no frame of reference to how much better it works with them.

My 1966 VW Bug was a perfect vehicle, as I had no other car to compare it to.:)

I knew for sure it beat walking.:p

K9ZMD, KD6RF and NH7RO like this.
  8. W4ZWA

I did install radials towards the end but ran it years without them. didn't notice that much of a difference.

Mainly I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have issues with it being simi close to the eventual shack or harm anyone in the house or garage. again I'd mainly be running less than 100 watts and usually around 25-30.

9. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice weather instrument you have there. :)

You should attach a plastic rain gauge on it and put a plastic weather vane on top.

10. WB2WIK

I would not be concerned about the RF exposure levels at HF.

If you use the "calculators" to determine compliance with safety standards I think you'll find that you have to pretty much "touch" the antenna to be at risk at such low frequencies and relatively low power levels.

Which of course does beg the question about anyone being able to physically touch the antenna while it's in use.:) One reason I use only elevated antennas nobody can touch.

NH7RO likes this.