ad: HamInsurance-1

Vertical antenna location

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KE0DMC, Oct 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE0DMC

KE0DMC Subscriber QRZ Page

they came with the ranch when we purchased it. They are nice mainly in providing light during the day to the stables. I lan 16-32 radials at .2 wavelength as suggested in Jerry Sevick's articles.
    Nothing is ever perfect. Maybe I should just put up a Window 35 feet above the ground.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, what about an elevated vertical a few feet above ground (and farther e away from the shed)? Four radials (or more if feasible)and you could have a great omni antenna.

3. KE0DMC

Doable but I've been told by local hams the horse barn will detune the vertical. Unless I place it above the ground on a fence out and use the barbed wire as a ground plane with a 120 foot coax run. In that case the antenna would be 70 feet from the structure.

4. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

No worries; not much loss at HF frequencies anyway. That's what I'd do (but use tuned radials as much as possible rather than random lengths of barbed wire).

Jeff

5. W9XMT

W9XMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Below is a NEC4.2 study of this scenario for a 1/4WL, unloaded, base-fed vertical monopole 1/2WL away from the longer side of that building. The metal walls of the building were modeled using a conductor spacing that looks like a solid surface to a 7.25 MHz signal.

The radiation envelope from that assembly looks fairly well behaved.

[​IMG]

WB5YUZ, WZ7U, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  6. KE0DMC

Thank you kindly

7. KE0DMC

Bottom line: No terrain is perfect. Some antenna to have fun with is better than none. If I want close to perfect I can go mobile an acre from the QTH an acre away albeit get eaten alive by mosquitos or get buried in a blizzard. Idea! An ice fishing shack in the field.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP AND CONCERN! Kudos!

WZ7U and AK5B like this.