Vertex VX-900 VHF Portable

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W2NJS, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2NJS

W2NJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got a new Vertex VX-900 HT, 5 watts output, with 512 programmable channels. Being a commercial radio of course it has no VFO, but with 512 channels who cares?
    Programming has been easy and was easy to learn. No license hassle about the software (DOS, not Windows), either and, get this, NO RIB to worry about.  Eight-character top display and the characters are large enough to read easily. Program lets you invert the main display if you need to read the radio while it's on your belt. The sensitivity and audio (Tx and RX) are excellent. Radio does CTCSS and DCS, ARTS, 12.5 and 25 kHz channels by individual channels, and 5, 6.25, and 1.25 kHz steps. Construction is MIL STD 810 and looks very sturdy. Compared to an equivalent Motorola radio this is a very attractive unit, both functionally and pricewise.

Added comment July 20, 2003:
    Several months after I got the VHF VX900 I acquired the UHF model of the same radio. Same comments apply, but now that I've used both units for more than a year I can attest to the superior audio and ruggedness of the VX900. (And no, I don't work for Vertex, and I have no connection with them whatsoever.) The RSS is available in Windows version now as well as DOS and both are easy to use. Vertex does not make a "D" ring (shoulder strap) holster for this radio, only a twist-off belt loop, but the Motorola HT1000 case is a perfect fit for the VX900, although it does not allow the TT pad to show. Neither of my radios have the pad so I don't care. By the way, if you have a choice of TT pad or not when getting this radio, opt FOR the TT pad. Not because of TT capability but for the fact that the four additional programmable buttons (A/B/C/D) give much more flexibility in assigning functions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.