Verified user

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by KE4VPD, Sep 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KE4VPD

KE4VPD Ham Member QRZ Page

I see I have 2 ways of becoming verified to be able to post sales. I have never done LOTW. My other choice is a picture of....what? My drivers license? I guess I'm too dumb to understand. I hesitate putting a pic of my DL with all that info online.....help??

2. K5CAB

K5CAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you ever get an answer about this? I feel the same way about posting my DL....

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Your ID is not stored on QRZ - it's viewed by a paid QRZ staff member (not just a "Moderator" but paid staff members only - actual employees of the company).

They view it for maybe 10 seconds to make sure they have confidence what they saw is who you claim to be, then it's immediately and permanently deleted.

Not much different than showing your ID to buy a beer

Dave
    W7UUU
    [NOT a paid QRZ staff member]

4. K5CAB

K5CAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, Thanks for the speedy reply. As a victim of identity theft it still makes me overly cautious with putting my info out on the "world wide web". And it is just a little different than showing an id to buy beer.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No worries. Just explaining how it works is all.

Dave
    W7UUU

6. KE4VPD

KE4VPD Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. When you "buy a beer" they didn't take a PICTURE of it. As much as I want to believe Dave, and I know he has no reason to sugar coat it, I just can't bring myself to send them my DL or passport or something like that counting on them to "just look and immediately delete it". I guess I'll never post to QRZ again.....in fact I just sold about $2500 worth of things on the QTH and eham sites (where they don't require this) after it became too difficult to get on QRZ. So the "other" sites do work. Not being a hardcase, but cyber-crime is rampant enough without involving that kind of personal data on a hobby site.

7. WB3CII

WB3CII Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel exactly the same way. I am having trouble getting the LOTW method to work but I will be darned if I am sending a scan of my drivers license to anyone, period. Goes against all common sense.

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

LoTW cert should work. Be sure to restart your browser.

9. WB3CII

WB3CII Ham Member QRZ Page

At what point do you restart the browser ? I have tried it 4 different ways now and I still get the same message:

"No Certificates Were Provided By Your Browser
    Your browser did not provide a certificate that we can use to verify your account.

Because of the cryptographic nature of LoTW certificates verifications can only be processed online using this tool. Please click here to try again or use another method to verify your account. We reccomend using the latest version of Google Chrome to perform this process, however it should work in all major browsers."

10. W7UUU

Try a different browser. I couldn't get it to work on Chrome but MS Internet Explorer did it on the first try

Dave
    W7UUU