ad: Schulman-1

Verified Member Status Requirements

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, May 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

So sad. I predict that the QRZ "for sale" section will dwindle to a few hard core sellers who do this for a living. I will not be able to occasionally sell my surplus ham gear.

The process to qualify is just too complex for me. I lost it after trying to follow all the "click on..." and "zip file..." "winought..."

I'm just not a computer nerd

K7JOE and N7UJU like this.
  2. W6NCT

W6NCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, but IMHO this seems over-zealous for some perfectly legitimate sales situations.

For example, I am currently trying to sell a few large antennas and towers for a local silent-key's widow. Since these are too large to ship (reasonably), for almost all sales cases, neither payment nor deliver is online. Accordingly, my Ads initially favored a Local-pickup requirement; even though I admittedly softened the wording in the current Ads to keep from scaring away a few potential buyers where (e.g., local) delivery might not require third-party shippers (etc.).

The photos and description (on QRZ and elsewhere) are still a convenient way for buyer and sell to agree on what is being sold; but ultimately, the buyer can see exactly what he is buying when he pays for the item when he/she picks it up. Simply stated, "Local-pickup" items are almost entirely exempt from online fraud issues; and should be equally exempt from unnecessary (e.g., "Verified Seller") requirements.

3. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a fair suggestion that Local Pickup ads are worthy of a waiver. I've always believed that Local Pickup deals were inherently safe from a money standpoint. and we've relaxed moderation on most of them in the past.

For this issue, however, we have a technical problem. The issue for us is that once we turn Verified On in the swapmeet, then unverified people will not be allowed to post regardless of their intent. The content of the ad, i.e. the fact that its a Local Pickup, can only be determined after the ad is posted and therein lies the problem.

I think that we can still make it work, however, with a little imagination. Please allow me time to explore some options and feel free to contact me by email so I can help you out. aa7bq@qrz.com

KU4X, N0TZU, KJ4VTH and 1 other person like this.
  4. W6SA

W6SA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Fred,
    Not sure what you need. I replied to your text message with the code that was sent to me. What else do I need to do? I saw mention of a video but don't know where to find it. Just saw your reply. Will look some more tomorrow. It is going on 1 AM here.

5. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Here I am on Post #423. Way down where no one will read it.

Seems like the best solution is to continue accepting posts from "unverified sellers", but flag them as such. Then, a legit transaction is the responsibility of the buyer's doing further checking to decide if the post is a scam, or not.

The present plan eliminates occasional sellers, like me, who are totally honest, but now excluded.

6. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

No, you're eliminating yourself because you are unwilling to go through the very methodical step by step process which, frankly, is as easy as falling off a log for someone with your education and background.

NZ4X, N3AB and KS4W like this.
  7. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How about a seperate sub-forum in the Swap Meet section titled "Pick Up Only".- (As Per QRZ Rules Shipping Is Not Allowed).

I always felt that the no shipping ads got lost in the Swap Meet section. This way non-verified sellers and verified sellers will have the option to sell locally in a seperate section. Also I think it would bring new interest in the Swap Meet section as a whole. It will however bring more work to the Moderators to monitor that board making sure the rule is followed. Anyway just a thought.

K7JOE likes this.
  8. AB4KA

AB4KA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no problem with this. I did the verification and two-factor login a long time ago and didn't have any problems, nor have I had any. IMO things like this along with tight moderation (which I have run afoul of a time or two) is what separates QRZ's classifieds from other sites which seem to be nothing but flippers and people posting and reposting the same stuff over and over.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Go take a look. Exactly the opposite happened. Ham Radio Gear For Sale is more vibrant than ever and is getting more and better quality ads from a larger spectrum of sellers and viewer counts have gone up also. Not too late for you to join in and I hope you do.

K1OIK, AA7BQ and KJ4VTH like this.
  10. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I may have missed it, but are buyers required to be verified? I think they should be if not.