Verified Member Status Requirements

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, May 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a sneaking suspicion that this new Verification requirement is going to greatly reduce the number of postings in the Ham Radio Gear for Sale forum.

A quick scroll through the first several pages shows many more unverified sellers than verified.

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

"No, I'm not saying that Google is Good, but rather that they're no worse (and perhaps better) than the alternatives. There are some very big search engines out there that are run by some very bad actors who sincerely wish us harm."

I'm curious who that would be Fred, please enlighten. I'm not needing any more harm in my life right now.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you limit its influence to just Google? ;)

4. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

More people for me to sell to by elimination others who don't get verified. If they are to lazy to get verified, do you really trust their ad?

NN4RH, N1VAU, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  5. WA8P

WA8P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like this!

6. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

p12 key installed in browser.
    "Your account has never participated in the identity verification program before." -qrz

log out and log back in.
    "Your account has never participated in the identity verification program before." -qrz

what else to do?

7. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Had to run the script twice.
    The first time it installed the key.
    The second time it prompted me to apply for verification.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Give it time. The most important part it is going to greatly reduce the number of hacked account scams like the flurry of Nigerian thefts we had last week

If the number of listings goes down, it goes down. But on balance I think that buyers will be much less likely to be scammed by account hackers. Even if an "ID Verified" user falls for a phishing scheme, he's not very likely to then ship his cellphone to the guy in Nigeria so he can log in and post nonexistent stuff for sale.

Dave
    W7UUU

N1VAU, N3AB and N0TZU like this.
  9. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Does being verified mean that it will no longer be required to have your call shown with the equipment? If this was already covered, I missed it.

10. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Not required but still preferred. Without a call sign “you” lose control of your photo that could then be used in some scam.

But no - it will no longer be mandatory

Dave
    W7UUU

K1OIK and N4GKS like this.