Verified Member Status Requirements

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, May 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"barrage of obnoxious flashing ads" - boo hoo.

In my own personal account, I have the ability to turn all ads off, as can any premium and higher level subscriber. I choose to keep my ads ON however, all of the time and not once, ever, have they prevented me from enjoying the site.

Sir, not to be argumentative, but you're full of it.

Also, if I've said it once I've said it a thousand times, GET THE APP. SMS TEXTS CAN AND WILL FAIL HERE.

N3AB likes this.
  2. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

But, by choice, you are being argumentative. Not sure why as I am just asking for help? I don't want to view ads from ANY site and my choice should be respected as I respect yours.

As for the problem at hand, is there a solution to my and others' problem? Does this APP work in Linux and Android as I'm not a Windows user? As for "
    SMS TEXTS CAN AND WILL FAIL HERE" why are you offering a feature that isn't fully reliable?Thanks again for your help.

3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

NOTHING is fully reliable. As Fred mention, more than 3700 people have used the LoTW means to get verified. I sent in my ID and it worked just fine. I had no problem.

What browser are you using, btw?? Be aware that 3rd party ad-blockers can and do prevent some sites from working properly. Out of an abundance of caution I would turn off ANY ad-in to your browser that might affect the display of the web site. Delete all cookies related to QRZ.

Go back and read carefully the instructions. Several thousand folks have become verified without any issue. That doesn't mean there is none, but more than likely the problem is on your side, not this side since so many others have had no problem. That's the wonder of the modern computer world.

2FA is a DIFFERENT ISSUE than "verified." You have to have 2FA running in order to get verified, but turning on 2FA does NOT automatically get one verified.

Good luck!

..................Bob

4. KA3TJI

Thanks Bob. I finally got it working using Google Authenticator. Thanks for your help.

5. AA7BQ

Well, it's because SMS TEXTS work if you're in a good network, and, some people aren't clever enough to install and configure an APP.

SMS may be okay, even fine, in some areas but if you want reliability, I recommend the APP.

73 -fred

6. KA3TJI

Thanks Fred, I appreciate the help. I don't think I ever experienced a problem with SMS TEXTS when I log into my bank or credit card accounts. I am on Verizon and in a highly populated area and the notification of a text is literally right after I clicked the mouse on the computer. They also offer e-mail and voice options for receiving the authentication number. Anyway, I have submitted everything to get verified. Again, thanks to the admin team for the help.

7. AA7BQ

You're welcome. Yes, when I say that SMS is not reliable, I am referring to areas which have too few cell towers and too many subscribers. In major metro areas, it's usually quite reliable. Still, we get people who report a 30 to 60 second wait for the text to arrive. That will obviously not work.

73, -fred

8. KZ4TN

KZ4TN Subscriber QRZ Page

I created my authorization using the SMS (I think that's what it's referred to) option. I just want to state that in my opinion Google is a tool of the Anti-Christ. I also would like to state that I almost was scammed twice and am thankful that you are going to this level of security.

TNX de KZ4TN

9. AA7BQ

Regarding Google, I've noted that several people have expressed their grave concern about having anything to do with Google at any time, anywhere.

For the record, let me say that we _use_ Google services (Maps, GMail, Adsense, Analytics), but we do so for our own benefit, including the revenue that we get from Google advertising. Google does not get any of our database information other than that which is shown on our website pages. They don't buy mailing lists and we don't sell them. And, I almost forgot, the Maps. Most of you use the maps that are attached to each call sign. These are Google maps, and QRZ pays Google more than $2000 per month for the privilege of putting them on our pages. I think it's a ripoff, but I scream into the wind...

What follows isn't an endorsement of Google, but rather my personal observations. YMMV

My website has been online longer than Google and so I can truly say that I've known them and their services since day 1. I interviewed for a job there once and politely turned them down when they wanted me to move to silicon valley to work in one of their server farms. Not wishing to be a farmer, I declined. Besides, I was more interested in QRZ anyway. That was in 2006.

Today, with nearly two decades of Google experience under our belts, I can say both good and bad things about them. The good things are the technology that they've invented, some of which comes from the finest minds on the planet. The bad things are all about their business practices and their opaqueness. Have you, or anyone you've ever met, ever spoken to a Google employee in a business sense? I ask because frankly, it's not that likely.

We all know that Google has most of our data. Let's just get that out of the way right now. If your data has ever touched the internet, then Google has probably seen it and has an index for it. It wasn't hard to gather the data because for the first 10 years or so, there was little or no security to stop them. Some businesses have to consider whether or not they will permit Google to index their site. Allowing them means that Mr. G gets to see things that maybe you didn't know you had, and that material will be indexed. Not allowing them in means that your online competitors will eat your lunch because your business remains relatively unknown. It's not an easy choice to make, especially when you have employees and their families depending on the success of your business. In the end, most people, including QRZ let's them in to have a look around.

When I say "let's them in", it doesn't mean into the back room or behind closed doors. It simply means that Google can look at any page that you intentionally make available to the internet. They will already have some of the info about your site having learned it from other users and other sites. If you are a publisher whose success is tied to the number of viewers (eyeballs) that reach your site, then chances are you will opt to permit Google to index your pages. This isn't because you approve of everything Google does, but rather that not doing business with them comes at a high cost.

So what does one gain by avoiding Google at all costs? That's a good question, and after thinking about it, the only thing I can think of is the personal satisfaction of flipping the bird to big brother. Other than that, you haven't really accomplished anything. Google still knows you, if not from your direct participation then from your indirect participation by using other sites that do allow Google to index them. There really is no escape from any of these monster search engines so the only real strategy is to control what you put online about yourself. My personal case is way beyond hope in this respect. I've had the same email address, flloyd@qrz.com, for 25 years and it's been around the world sixteen times. Okay, that was literary license but the point is that I've completely released my name, email address, and my personal call sign bio page to the world. I get spam calls every day, and spam email every day. Neither of those has kept me from being happy, or from getting my job done because I simply delete them with impunity. If an email hasn't caught my attention in the first couple of lines, it goes into the trash bin. I figure, what the heck, if it's really important, they'll write to me again. Personal emails are easy to spot in a large incoming mailbox and I seldom miss one despite my merciless delete finger. Well look at that, another dozen emails have arrived since I started writing this. I guess I shouldn't worry.

I do have one bit of advice for people who remain disturbed and worried about Google. If you're worried about what Google knows about you then why? Your worrying won't make them forget it. Your moving to another search engine won't make them forget it. If you are hiding from someone, well, that's unfortunate, and your best bet is to go completely off-grid. You can't hide from advertisers and spammers, and there is precious little that you can do about them, Google or no Google. No, I'm not saying that Google is Good, but rather that they're no worse (and perhaps better) than the alternatives. There are some very big search engines out there that are run by some very bad actors who sincerely wish us harm. You are either going to be on the internet or not, and if you are, Google will be a part of it in some way, with or without your consent.

For me, I'm simply not going to spend another moment worrying about what they have on me. I know myself and I'm far less interesting than a whole lot of other people. There is safety in numbers, like a school of small fish. If you're an ordinary guy doing ordinary things then nobody is interested in you, the least of which being Google. If, on the other hand, you have real secrets with actual consequences, then you probably shouldn't be on the internet.

73 -fred

K3BR, K1OIK, KS4W and 3 others like this.
  10. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well, I deleted Google a long time ago, so I'm not worried about them. LOL!