ad: Schulman-1

Verified Member Status Requirements

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Gear For Sale' started by AA7BQ, May 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ Swapmeet to Require Verified Members

QRZ has been hosting an online ham radio swap list for more than 20 years. We've learned a lot over the years and we've seen an amazing variety of user interactions as a result. One of our principal concerns is user security and the prevention of online fraud. We can't solve these problems but we do genuinely believe that we can implement policies that have a dramatically positive effect towards user and system security.

To that end, we are today announcing that as of June 1, 2019, all sellers on the QRZ Swapmeet must be enrolled in the Verified User program.

For info on becoming verified, just go to your Account page from the main blue menu. https://www.qrz.com/manager is the direct link.

The Verified Member program establishes your identity and protects your account from hacking. Verified User uses Two Factor Authentication (2FA) to keep your account safe, so much so that even if a hacker has your password, he/she cannot use it to gain access to your account because they have no access to the second factor (2FA). 2FA requires that in addition to your login password, that you supply a six digit, one time code to complete your login. These codes are produced by your cell phone using an authenticator App like Google Authenticator or, more recently, Authy, to generate the code. Alternatively, we can send you your login code by text message if you have a USA phone number (sorry, no international SMS at this time). This means that in order to be successful, a hacker must have your password and your smart phone, and the password to your smart phone. The authenticator apps are also available for PC/Mac systems so if you actually don't have a cell phone, you can still get into QRZ.

Phase-In Timetable
    The Verified Member program will be phased into the QRZ Swapmeet with the following schedule:

21 May 2019 - General Announcement (this message)
    1 June 2019 - Verified Users Requirements begin. Non-verified Members may still post, however, their listings will be marked with CAUTION.
    1 July 2019 - Phase-In completed. Non-verified users will not be allowed to post in the Swapmeet

NOTE: Users may opt-out of the Verified user program for the rest of the QRZ site. This means that not having the Verified badge will only prevent you from posting new threads in the Swapmeet. Your privileges in other areas of QRZ, including the discussion forums, will remain unrestricted.

Thanks to all for your understanding, and for helping us make QRZ a safe place to buy and sell amateur radio gear.

73, -fred AA7BQ

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    W1MDM, W1WWA, K5WRN and 31 others like this.
  2. W0FK

W0FK Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at your 2FA signup, you provide use of Google Authentication, but not Authy or other apps. Will any other apps be added?

73, Lou, W0FK

editor: Yes, Authy is supported. The name Google Authenticator is just a placeholder. Any compliant 2FA generator will work once it has been seeded with an initial key from QRZ. -fred

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2019
  3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great! Glad that's coming. Would it be possible that a verified seller also be required to post a public email on his home page? An astute unsolicited emails scammer could have a field day otherwise.

W1WWA and KB7JZI like this.
  4. K3BH

K3BH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was verified and then it stopped working. Rather than fix the problem, the administrator simply turned verification off. Has everything been fixed??

73 Jay K3BH

editor: When 2FA loses synchronization, as in the case when you change phones or reinstall the software, then the only way to get it restarted is by redoing the setup. If a user can't login because their 2FA is broken, the only 'fix' at our disposal is to turn it OFF for your account so that you may redo the installation and get it going again. Either way, it isn't broken at all. If it were easy, it wouldn't be secure. It's working perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2019
    K4AGO likes this.
  5. K9KEV

K9KEV Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome....!!!!
    I was hoping that one day everyone that uses this site would have to be verified.
    Keep up the great work.
    De
    Kevin K9KEV

W5NQH, KJ3LR, KN4PHS and 2 others like this.
  6. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

What about old advertisements? I do not wish to be verified. I also do not wish my old postings to be marked "caution" or "unverified" or similarly. Such markings may be misinterpreted by someone who is not familiar with QRZ policies. This could discourage someone from purchasing a used piece of gear that I have advertised elsewhere.

Thanks.

-Bob

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well, not so fast :)

Anyone wanting to sell in the QRZ Swap Meet forums, beginning July 1, 2019 will have to be "Identity Verified" (beginning June 1 users will receive a warning if posting for sale items without being verified).

But "Verified status" will NOT be required for the normal discussion forums.

Dave
    W7UUU

AB4RW and W1WWA like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Old ads will be left - but marked as "canceled" if not already marked as "sold". How will QRZ define "Old"? That will be determined I'm sure by HQ when the time comes.

Dave
    W7UUU

9. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I've looked (maybe not hard enough) and I can't find any way my PC can do this. It's great if you have a smart phone and all the apps I've seen require one, but I am probably one of a handful of folks in this world that doesn't have a smart phone (nor any other 1G-4G phone).
    So, can you be more specific on how to do this?
    TIA
    Have fun
    Gary

WA4JHE, NH7RO, KC2YMO and 6 others like this.
  10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

@AA7BQ I wonder if it makes any sense that only verified users are able to view the email addresses of members public email address?

That would put a bit of a hurtin' on users who are not verified, I'm sure a bunch of screaming and yelling would occur, but most of all would prevent scammers who obviously are NOW able to see those addresses from viewing and emailing their intended victims.

I firmly believe that the scammosquitos are getting in through the screens and can view our email addresses. How else could they get them?

@KO6WB
    P.S. Gary, you are not alone!
    pps: there are apps you can install on your computer to get the auth code.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    NH7RO, K8UA, WD4IGX and 1 other person like this.