Verified Member Status Requirement Coming

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AA7BQ, May 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB5THT

WB5THT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Fred for the efforts to protect the QRZ community. I signed up for 2FA and I have a suggestion, I have a static IP address and having to do 2FA every 30 days isn’t really necessary. Is there some way to recognize an IP address that has verified with 2FA to extend the interval between re-authorization?

2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry but that isn't a configuration item that is available to us. Once every 30 days isn't bad at all, and it serves to remind us that everything is still working. Even as the site owner, I'm subject to the same 30 day renewal and I don't find it intrusive at all.

I use Authy and I have half a dozen accounts attached to it. What I like about it is that I have a copy running on several devices and they all work since it's a networked app. Once you set it up on one app, it's setup on all your devices. If you lose any one device, you don't lose your access.

With Google Authenticator, a loss of your device is a disaster. That's why I ditched it.

-fred

3. WB5THT

WB5THT Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem for me is I don’t have a text plan with my cell phone and every month I go over a certain number of texts I get charged per text. Every PC or tablet, etc I use will call for re-authentication every 30 days and another text charge. I fully realize your objective is to provide for the greater good of the majority, just an FYI for you.

4. W0FK

W0FK Ham Member QRZ Page

I signed up today, used Authy. It opens and puts in a code once you scan your monitor automatically, just click the button that says you're using the Google app. Easy.

W7UUU likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi John - this will really only be a critical issue for folks who sell stuff on QRZ. You will NOT have to be "Verified" to post in any other forum - just the Swap Meet. Doesn't look like you've had anything up for sale in years so you should be just fine

Dave
    W7UUU

WB5THT likes this.
  6. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it really overkill?

I have never sold anything here, but I have bought stuff. I posted a question once about an AL-811H for sale. I received, at the email I have in my profile here, an email from someone else saying he saw it and had another for sale, complete with photos. The email address looked legit. But some checking in the headers looked suspicious (I do not recall the details now as this has been a couple of years) and a google image search turned up the same images, taken directly off the web and plopped into his email.

Someone less saavy about the 'net and a bit more trusting would easily have been taken in.

I wrote to the real owner of the call sign that was part of the spoofed email address to let him know. He did not have an amp for sale and, of course, had not sent the email I received. I wrote the guy back and said "p1$$ off, scammer" but probably should have played him a while for fun and to at least irritate him.

This kind of thing happens all the time. Of course these steps would not prevent THAT particular attempt because he just concocted the scheme based on reading my reply, but it should cut down on fraudulent ads posted here of the type that apparently started all this. It may not stop it - as people have said it isn't perfect - but it should make it a lot more difficult, and it's only a locked door and maybe an alarm system, either easily defeated by a determined thief, that is often enough to send even said thief, who is probably lazy or he wouldn't be a thief, down the street to another house where he doesn't have to bother defeating anything.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    WB5THT, N3AB and W7UUU like this.
  7. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Just curious....what do they charge you per text over the limit?

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If I might suggest that this discussion is perhaps a good time to remind people that they need to turn on 2FA for their email account. Email is used as a key into and monitor of activity on many vital internet services. So a compromised email can cascade into compromised and stolen bank accounts, credit cards, identity, etc. (besides, obviously, your QRZ account!). Turn on 2FA everywhere it is offered - Just do it!

N0CEL likes this.
  9. WD4IGX

Years ago (2012 or so I believe) before I upgraded to unlimited text it was .10 each.

Even if you are one of the few people who still don't have unlimited texts AND go over most months (in which case you should just consider upgrading your plan - I mean not everyone needs unlimited but if you go over most months you do, QRZ 2FA or not) - anyway, ten cents every thirty days is pretty dang trivial.

N0CEL and N3AB like this.
  10. WD4IGX

And 0h - as I posted above I set up 2FA last night and send in my DL scan. I'm verified today. Easy.