Verified Member Status Requirement Coming

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AA7BQ, May 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

That was where I was going with that. The cost of a few texts is nothing compared to what some people have been taken for.

W7UUU likes this.
  2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope, doesn't work on a desktop PC with Windows.
    The section to use with the Chrome Browser still require a cell phone number. This doesn't work....
    Is there something else that'll do the trick?

Have fun
    Gary

3. W7ASH

W7ASH Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading through this entire thread, and as a former web forum Administrator with years of experience, here's my suggestion.
    Since the QRZ Online Swapmeet is intended for Licensed Amateur Radio Operators who are Members of QRZ.COM, how about simply making the Online Swapmeet invisible to the Public and Only Visible to VERIFIED QRZ MEMBERS?

I've been using 2FA Login on the QRZ Website for a long time now and never have I had a problem with it.

W7ASH - Bob

KN4TQB, KP4SX and WD4IGX like this.
  4. KE0TNL

KE0TNL Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy peasy lemon squeezey. I've been using 2FA since I got my ticket last November and sent in my DL today. Great security features by the QRZ staff.

5. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not worried about the 99.999 percent of the userbase that doesn't have skills. I am worried about (or perhaps I should say "for") the userbase that might be persuaded into thinking that having 2FA enabled makes their account(s) (not just their qrz.com account) impenetrable, while at the same time they employ poor security practices to protect their private keys (like using facial recognition, bluetooth trust, fingerprints, or other less secure methods of keeping their phone locked).

And I am not worried about their qrz.com account getting hacked, because at that point, their qrz.com account shares equivalent security with all of the 2FA-enabled banking apps on their phone: none. There are even people that use Google Smart Lock in conjunction with Google Auth - on the same device, basically rendering their unlocked or compromised cell phone a master key to their entire lives.

My argument against putting blind trust in 2FA really had nothing to do with QRZ.com and so I apologize if I presented it that way. You are correct that qrz.com is a very low-value target, but it is nevertheless a target of opportunity that comes up if someone stores their private keys on their phone and it is compromised. But the real issue is everything else. 2FA is certainly better than !2FA. 2FA just is not perfect secrecy.

6. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I buy and sell frequently on QRZ and another site. Haven’t had a single unresolved issue on either but, I got burned on Fleabay a few times. I’m not implying that scamming isn’t an issue. Regardless of what measures a site takes to protect you, it’s necessary to be aware of your suroundings. Scammers are out there and they want your password, money whatever they can take from the unwary. Some reasonable due diligence is required if you want to play online.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Swapmeet ought to be totally out of view for non-members. The Nigerian clowns who approach the hapless WTB posters shouldn't be able to see them in the first place.

KN4TQB, WD4IGX, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

If I only had a smart phone....

Oh well.

9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

After reading this entire thread, I'm looking lovingly at my antique LG-440G dumbphone that cost me $6 at the Dollar Store. I also have a new appreciation for my weekly visits to conduct banking business face to face with a real, human teller at a brick and mortar bank.

Yes, I still operate CW.

KL7KN and N3AB like this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You must be a HUGE fan of biometric ID technology and NWO initiatives.