Verified but still Caution flagged ads

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KA2FIR, Jun 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

And that's why QRZ should implement scoring, IMHO. Nothing will be an absolute, iron clad guarantee - there is no such thing. BUT if you can reasonably prove the person is the person (that's the authentication piece), the history/reputation score paints the picture of who you're dealing with. Like I said, you can be a proven slimeball...

But back to the OP's original question, why is it necessary to post a call sign with Verified? One could argue it helps prevent blatant fraud from authenticated individuals (not having the item for sale, for example), but that's it. Not sure how much of a problem that really is, and it does nothing for dishonesty, misrepresentation, etc., as already pointed out. A reputation score will show that pretty quickly. Authentication + Reputation = higher confidence.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    K7MH likes this.
  2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think that was the OP's question.
    I believe he asked why some of those that are verified do not follow the listing practices and end up with a "caution" notice surrounding their ads, indicating that although they were sort of "advanced" in the verification process they still did not understand the rules for listing an ad for sale.
    Understanding one thing does not mean that they understand the other it seems.

KS4W likes this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. -1 for me this evening in the reading comprehension department.

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't matter. You're all caught up now!

5. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, this is clearly a management decision that members will have to live with. I really can see both sides, but I don't think you can automatically link "verification" to ethical trustworthiness.

I had one of my first swap-meet posts flagged for clear violations of the posting rules - my fault because I failed to read the rules thoroughly. Period. My bad. Live and learn.

Regardless, everything went like you-know-what through a goose - like in one day. Unfortunately, the loss to the "QRZ collective" was that of the 14 items I listed (some really good ham stuff cheap, radios, tuners, antennas, etc.), one (1) was sold to a QRZ member and the rest (13) sold to people outside of QRZ. Maybe it could have been moderated better and maybe not - but rules are rules.

Jim, WQ2H

6. KN7S

KN7S Senior Swapmeet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

2FA verification is still in its infancy. Still looking for any problems or loopholes that the scammers can work around. Time will tell. Until then we still need to abide by the current QRZ Safety Rules.
    Callsigns in the pics also have another benefit. This will be one less picture that scammers can "borrow" to perpetrate a scam on other web sites.

K2HAT likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is what I was thinking also.

Maybe verified members should be able to add digital call signs in their pictures.

Even better, Sellers should be required to do a selfie with what they are selling. :)

8. WQ2H

Don - you are smarter then the average bear. :)

Maybe an automatically dropped watermark? That way nobody forgets !

WQ2H_WM.jpg

9. K2HAT

K2HAT QRZ Volunteer Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Digitally added Call Signs are a No-no. Callsigns which are digitally superimposed (photoshopped) onto the picture are not allowed.

Hard to alter a QSL Card or piece of paper with a Call Sign in the photo.

Really with smart phones so common and digital cameras so cheap, how hard is it to take photos of the stuff for sale?

And to add your Call Sign for stuff over $250. {used to be $100. and that is the rule I still choose to follow.}

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/qrz-swapmeet-listing-and-safety-policies-must-read.492042/

[​IMG]

10. WQ2H

Lee - Just always thinking outside the box for alternatives. You're an Eagle - you should know that. :)

The proposed "E-tag" could be somehow automatically implemented by QRZ, not the user. That way the watermark, and any additional information that could easily be hidden inside the image, would always be "verifyable" against a QRZ standard.

Shutterstock, DeskShare, CanStock, and quite a few other ecoms have been using this methodology for years. Just daydreaming I guess.......!

Jim, WQ2H