ad: AlphaRF-1

Verified but still Caution flagged ads

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KA2FIR, Jun 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm seeing posts from QRZ accounts that have been verified but are still being flagged CAUTION. Why become verified if you're not going to observe the QRZ swapmeet safety rules.

KP4SX and W7UUU like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve noticed it too - makes no sense and the rules are so simple

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2FIR and KN7S like this.
  3. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe he is a lumberjack and can't see the forest for the trees??? :D

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are already verified I am not sure what the point is of the additional verification in the swap meet with the call sign in the picture.
    Easy enough to do and all but it seems odd to me.
    Am I verified but not really verified??
    If it is a certainty that it was I who logged in, how could it be anyone else that put the for sale ad up??:confused:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Being Verified is not a free pass to evade the rules.

K3RW, K2HAT and KA2FIR like this.
  6. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess you missed the point I was trying to make.

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

But doesn't Verified make the need of having your call sign in the pic superfluous? I understand the rules are what they are today, but whats the point of being "Verified" if you have to write your call sign in the pic?

I really think QRZ should look the way other sites manage this - Astromart (of which I am a member) requires a yearly fee ($15) to post, which eliminates a lot of impersonation shenanigans right there, as well as seller scoring, kinda like eBay - a score of buyers experiences with previous transactions.

With Verification and 2_Factor authentication, at least the PERSON should be known, with a score that person would be known to be trustworthy, or a slimeball...

K7MH likes this.
  8. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you!:)

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

From here:

A QRZ Identity Verified user is someone who has enrolled in Two Factor Authentication and provided QRZ with either government issued photo identification (in some countries) or a Logbook Of The World Callsign Certificate. This allows us to be reasonably certain that the person is who they say they are.

Having extra evidence of someone's identity doesn't make them trustworthy. Even an otherwise valid ad could contain pictures that were taken from elsewhere, and didn't represent the true operational state of the item for sale, the items included with it, or its physical condition. Some people might notice when they received their item, and some might not. Just because QRZ has your license on file doesn't mean you can't profit from a bait-and-switch.

There are all kinds of people whose identities are well-known to law enforcement, but they aren't people you would want in your neighborhood, or even in your county.

K3RW and KP4SX like this.
  10. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

All good and well but the quality of the item being sold, or whether or not the seller delivers the item is an entirely separate issue from the verification process being discussed.
    That aspect of an ad or seller is far more difficult to manage.