ad: Radclub22-1

VECs PROPOSE NEW ENTRY LEVEL COMMUNICATOR LICENCE

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K6IRP

K6IRP Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K3DAV @ April 28 2004,23:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W0LC @ April 28 2004,11:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I think it is more then "I did it this way and so should you" as many uninformed individuals rant.

Testing standards need to be appropriate for our hobby, if we are to expect anything from it and the others in it with us.  Relaxing those standards takes away from the attractiveness of what we have to offer.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm sorry Chris, but I disagree.  It DOES boil down to "I had to do it, so should you".  It is clear in the tone of so many replies in this thread and the one before that,  and the one before that,  and the one before that......and so on....

The only thing that, "takes away from the attractiveness of what we have to offer" is this constant arguing with license class egos.  I have talked to many potential hams that have read this stupidity here on QRZ, and decided NOT to become a ham.  Their decision was that they didn't want to go through the TROUBLE of getting a license just to find a bunch of bruised egos, sounding like CB'ers, that are complaining about ham becomming like CB.  They said that they had a real interest in ham, but if the post's on QRZ are any example of ham's, then they wouldn't waste their time.

The concern about the ARRL is a point well taken.  But you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill.  You are pushing your version of what the outcome might be, too far.  And it is pushing away potential hams.  If I were just considering becoming a ham, and read this garbage in here, I wouldn't want to join a fraternity of what appears to be a bunch of snobs.  I'm not saying anyone is a snob, it just looks that way to potential hams who don't know better.

This is all wrong, and should end.  The FCC has already commented on how it likes the ARRL proposal in thier newsletter.  The proposal WILL be adopted.  This continued ego busting will just give us all a bad name.  (If it hasn't already).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    DAV----You have to let the personal feelings you have go my friend------while I am sure there are guys on both sides of this who think either---1---I had to do it, so should you and... 2--I want my free upgrade, the quality of the ars be damned......folks have to dismiss both those viewpoints, they are equally weak---

So---I am left with this reality---things that lower standards decline---period---that's my experience in life, there are so many examples of this----The FCC won't do this because they will come to understand that and they clearly don't want the ars to deevolve into cb or something like it.....best of luck!---Chris

2. N0DOZ

N0DOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why does it have to be "either you're for the old way or you're looking for something for nothing?" I think the problem is relevance. The so-called "old hams" see the Amateur Service moving on without them, which makes them irrelevant, and they resent it... so they "fight back" with this "something for nothing" nonsense.

3. K3DAV

K3DAV Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke6irp @ April 29 2004,11:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">DAV----You have to let the personal feelings you have go my friend------while I am sure there are guys on both sides of this who think either---1---I had to do it, so should you and... 2--I want my free upgrade, the quality of the ars be damned......folks have to dismiss both those viewpoints, they are equally weak---

So---I am left with this reality---things that lower standards decline---period---that's my experience in life, there are so many examples of this----The FCC won't do this because they will come to understand that and they clearly don't want the ars to deevolve into cb or something like it.....best of luck!---Chris[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Your personal feelings left out a third choice. 3) The hundreds of thousands of Techs that will become good General operators.

You say I should let go of my personal feelings. Yet that's all you have based your post on. Nothing that any of us have said is fact. It is ALL based on personal feelings. This entire argument, and all those before it, have been nothing more than opinions. Unless you use a crystal ball and can tell the future, you nor I can actually back up anything we say on this issue.

But we can do one thing. We can look at all of the other countries that have already gone way past the opinions, and to the facts as they have been affected. Almost a year has passed since most of them dropped the CW test requirement for license upgrades. They are living these issues as a reality. None of the terrible things that you claim will happen here, have happened there. The HF bands have not become like CB. Older hams are getting along with, and helping the newbies. The mole hill is still a mole hill, and the sky is still up where it should be. It is you that is letting your personal feelings predict the future of ham, as you see it. But if the rest of the world is any example, of the future of ham here, all of your fears will be laid to rest. Then I am hoping we can get back to enjoying our hobby.

4. W0UZR

W0UZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Even after you and Chris die, I bet you'll still be at each other's throats.

5. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K3DAV @ April 30 2004,07:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke6irp @ April 29 2004,11:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">DAV----You have to let the personal feelings you have go my friend------while I am sure there are guys on both sides of this who think either---1---I had to do it, so should you and... 2--I want my free upgrade, the quality of the ars be damned......folks have to dismiss both those viewpoints, they are equally weak---

So---I am left with this reality---things that lower standards decline---period---that's my experience in life, there are so many examples of this----The FCC won't do this because they will come to understand that and they clearly don't want the ars to deevolve into cb or something like it.....best of luck!---Chris[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Your personal feelings left out a third choice.  3) The hundreds of thousands of Techs that will become good General operators.

You say I should let go of my personal feelings.  Yet that's all you have based your post on.  Nothing that any of us have said is fact.  It is ALL based on personal feelings.  This entire argument, and all those before it, have been nothing more than opinions.  Unless you use a crystal ball and can tell the future, you nor I can actually back up anything we say on this issue.

But we can do one thing.  We can look at all of the other countries that have already gone way past the opinions, and to the facts as they have been affected.  Almost a year has passed since most of them dropped the CW test requirement for license upgrades.  They are living these issues as a reality.  None of the terrible things that you claim will happen here, have happened there. The HF bands have not become like CB.  Older hams are getting along with, and helping the newbies.  The mole hill is still a mole hill, and the sky is still up where it should be. It is you that is letting your personal feelings predict the future of ham, as you see it.  But if the rest of the world is any example,  of the future of ham here, all of your fears will be laid to rest.  Then I am hoping we can get back to enjoying our hobby.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    david you Hit the nail on the Head in this post and the fcc knows this to , Bill kd4mxe

6. K4UUK

K4UUK Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">K3DAV - Your personal feelings left out a third choice.  3) The hundreds of thousands of Techs that will become good General operators.

You say I should let go of my personal feelings.  Yet that's all you have based your post on.  Nothing that any of us have said is fact.  It is ALL based on personal feelings.  This entire argument, and all those before it, have been nothing more than opinions.  Unless you use a crystal ball and can tell the future, you nor I can actually back up anything we say on this issue.

But we can do one thing.  We can look at all of the other countries that have already gone way past the opinions, and to the facts as they have been affected.  Almost a year has passed since most of them dropped the CW test requirement for license upgrades.  They are living these issues as a reality.  None of the terrible things that you claim will happen here, have happened there. The HF bands have not become like CB.  Older hams are getting along with, and helping the newbies.  The mole hill is still a mole hill, and the sky is still up where it should be. It is you that is letting your personal feelings predict the future of ham, as you see it.  But if the rest of the world is any example,  of the future of ham here, all of your fears will be laid to rest.  Then I am hoping we can get back to enjoying our hobby.

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Thank goodness for some sanity in this forum and as I live on both sides of the Atlantic, I do know what K3DAV is talking about. Apart from a very small number of die hards, the change has been very well accepted and in fact there is just as much or more interest in CW but out of interest for the mode rather than necessity. In no way are the bands now sounding like CB - if you want to hear CB type behaviour just listen to 75 most evenings and weekends. Most of the comments that I see posted here are ridiculous to the point of almost amusement. I have been licensed in the UK since 1978 and operated here for 8 years so I do qualify to pass comment.
    Get a life and accept a change that will bring new blood to the hobby.

7. K6IRP

K6IRP Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K3DAV @ April 30 2004,07:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke6irp @ April 29 2004,11:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">DAV----You have to let the personal feelings you have go my friend------while I am sure there are guys on both sides of this who think either---1---I had to do it, so should you and... 2--I want my free upgrade, the quality of the ars be damned......folks have to dismiss both those viewpoints, they are equally weak---

Your personal feelings left out a third choice.  3) The hundreds of thousands of Techs that will become good General operators.

But we can do one thing.  We can look at all of the other countries that have already gone way past the opinions, and to the facts as they have been affected.  Almost a year has passed since most of them dropped the CW test requirement for license upgrades.  They are living these issues as a reality.  None of the terrible things that you claim will happen here, have happened there. The HF bands have not become like CB.  Older hams are getting along with, and helping the newbies.  The mole hill is still a mole hill, and the sky is still up where it should be. It is you that is letting your personal feelings predict the future of ham, as you see it.  But if the rest of the world is any example,  of the future of ham here, all of your fears will be laid to rest.  Then I am hoping we can get back to enjoying our hobby.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah---you're right---if the other countries are dioing it, so should we...what was I thinking....

8. K3DAV

Good question.

9. W0UZR

You guys want to cheapen ham radio, then go back to CB!!

The requirements and tests need to stay the way they are now at least so ham radio can maintain some resemblance of Quality...

But you guys wouldn't know what quality is, or have any idea what pride in something is anyway...

GO back to CB!!

10. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb0uzr @ May 06 2004,13:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You guys want to cheapen ham radio, then go back to CB!!

The requirements and tests need to stay the way they are now at least so ham radio can maintain some resemblance of Quality...

But you guys wouldn't know what quality is, or have any idea what pride in something is anyway...

GO back to CB!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    How does taking a test instill pride in amateur radio? The test is a square that needs to be filled in order to receive authorization to transmit on amateur frequencies. The test does not measure pride. It might inflate some egos though. I'll stick with amateur radio thank-you.

Mark N5RFX

11. W0UZR

The post wasn't directed at you...

It was aimed at a certain other poster. We've been barking back and forth for months now. And they pretty much know that I don't really mean anything by it.. Just like to make a lot of noise.

12. K3DAV

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb0uzr @ May 07 2004,14:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You guys want to cheapen ham radio, then go back to CB!!

GO back to CB!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Quality??

Can you say, "75 Meters. (The Ham/CB band)"??
    Can you say, "Generals and extras that think the bands belong to them because they know CW"??
    Can you say, "Jealousy"??
    Can you say, "I had to do it, so should you"??
    Can you say, "Hams that still make mountains out of molehills, even though they have been proven wrong for almost a year now by the rest of the world"??
    I remember when America used to be first and lead in everything. Now we just drag our feet and let the rest of the world jump ahead of us.

If this is the quality you wish to maintain with a CW test, and you take pride in that, then ham radio was doomed a long time ago.

Have a nice day. [​IMG]

13. W0UZR

No,No,Nooooo

The rest of the countries have not jumped ahead. That is just an illusion in your mind....

The rest of the countries have jumped Behind...

Can you say,,The rest of the countries have jumped behind?

Cause that's what they did.
    Cheapend,,lowered standards,,Lowered quality,,Lowered integrity,,Taken away the Pride of accomplishment,,,

I don't give a flip if you get something for nothing. I'm ticked that ham radio is Cheapend,,lowered standards,,Lowered quality,,Lowered integrity,,Taken away the Pride of accomplishment,,,

Can you say,,,ham radio is Cheapend?

Can you say,,,ham radio is lowered standards?

Can you say,,,ham radio is Lowered quality?

Can you say,,,ham radio is Lowered integrity?

Can you say,,,ham radio has Taken the Pride of accomplishment away?

I WAS having a good day, you had a good day too? [​IMG]

14. W0UZR

BOY! You sure give up pretty easy arguing with me.
    Do I put up a tougher fight than Chris?
    Maybe it's more fun arguing with Chris, or maybe he's not that convincing compared to me or something.

15. K3DAV

No. I just give up arguing with closed, one track minded people, who can't accept the truth as proven 100 times over by the rest of the world. It's like trying to convince someone that there is no air on the moon. If I grabbed you by the neck, and put your face within 2 inches of the proof, you would still argue about it. If you can't accept proven facts, then there's no point to the debate anymore.

If you, or anyone else actually thinks that Ham radio standards and quality have been lowered, then maybe you need a new hobby. But I'm sure you will invent something wrong with that hobby to argue about too. Your last post makes it obvious that you just like to argue with people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.