ad: MyersEng-1

VECs PROPOSE NEW ENTRY LEVEL COMMUNICATOR LICENCE

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The original Novice test was 25 questions and it was mostly rules and regulations. This proposal suggests removing rules and regs from the test. That leaves 20 questions for more technical information. That's more than on the current Tech exam, and might negate the entry level idea if adopted.

2. KO4VP

KO4VP Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] As an Advanced clase license holder I'm proud of my acheivment in passing the 13wpm test to gain General privelages. I can see the need to uniform to a three class licensing system for simplicities sake, and I don't have a problem with being upgraded to Extra. However, doing away with a code requirement altogether and giving to much away in the HF bands to entry level licensees will cause havoc on the Amateur bands especially on phone where there have already been plenty of problems with new ticket holders in the last few years who just don't know what their doing or what is acceptable. I believe that an "entry level license" should be just that, entry level, just like the old novice class or tech with very limited or no HF privilages but without the code. That gets them in the door, gives them an idea of what it's about, gives them access to the Amateur community and a position to upgrade from, with effort put forth by them. After all, We who have upgraded the hard way have done it, not because it was easy but because we really wanted it and WORKED FOR IT!!!

3. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

Even though I work very little code due to arthritis in my hands, I still DO NOT support the CW crowd loosing bandwidth. Why should the guys who worked hard for and enjoy CW have to suffer? In fact, I would be in favor of having a CW endorsement to actualy work in the CW bands!

Oh well...for what it's worth... [​IMG]

4. W9GRN

W9GRN QRZ Member QRZ Page

I'll take a pass on this proposal Fred.If you haven't worked for it, it's not the same. That's one of the reasons I got of c.b. because they trashed the 11 meter band out and it was no fun anymore. Thanks but no thanks. [​IMG]

5. NK0V

NK0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K0RGR @ Mar. 16 2004,11:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The original Novice test was 25 questions and it was mostly rules and regulations. This proposal suggests removing rules and regs from the test. That leaves 20 questions for more technical information.  That's more than on the current Tech exam, and might negate the entry level idea if adopted.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why not remove the rules and regulations from written testing?  It isn't like they are important to these persons anyway, it is just troublesome and a burden to have to learn anything to get a licence.  The VE program is now fast becoming a joke, I will soon give it up as I do not agree with this free for all that is occuring.  
    Soon and VERY SOON there will be no testing required as any test is to demanding for these folks to learn, hell they think it is their "right" to all of this anyway.  Quality is being overlooked in the desperate hope that the masses will soon be on the "good ol boys bands."  To keep everything PC we now have to consider the beginner who can't even program a HT, equal in knowledge to the extra who has been around for 20+ years.  Knowledge is no longer necessary to get a licence, just a loud enough cry demanding it. [​IMG]

6. WX5NCO

WX5NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Even though I work very little code due to arthritis in my hands, I still DO NOT support the CW crowd loosing bandwidth. Why should the guys who worked hard for and enjoy CW have to suffer? In fact, I would be in favor of having a CW endorsement to actualy work in the CW bands!
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'd second that motion

7. n0zu

n0zu Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree
    I had to learn morse code and didnot like it
    but
    Times change and so do laws,

Ladys did not have the right to vote, and now they do,
    Blacks, and whites had to use different restrooms and how they use the sameones,
    money looks different and people did not like it but it changed and people got use to it.

So what is wrong with change, you people have seen it comming.
    the army and other forces have drop code, they find no more use on it,
    and in ham radio things have to change to,

Just think if they do not upgrade people and get the HF bands used,
    all of the old timers will be dead and gone and there will be no more hobby, becasue no one want to do code to upgrade, so the bands will be dead and NO MORE HAM RADIO!!!

The only people complaning are the old timers that had to learn code.
    They want the bands to there selves,
    and there little groups.
    SO when they die so will ham radio.
    And they will not care because they are dead and gone.
    and the bands when tuned into will be dead and gone to.  

the arrl does not want this,
    that is why they are tring to do restructure the bands to prevent having the bands die.

I am an extra and I had to learn at least the 5 words per min.
    and guess what I could care less what they do with the code,
    I think it is a good thing to change it.

I think some of the nocode people are alot better operator's than the old timers,
    because I get on the hf bands and all i here is the old timers say,
    DAMN,
    ?HIT,
    ASS,
    HELL,
    and lot's of bad words that are not to be used on ham radio.
    You say anything to them they say, they use them on radio and tv,
    Well you have to remeber they are brodcast stations and we are not,
    We as Ham radio Operator's have a different set of rules to go by and, one is not to use profane words.

and the nocode people I hardly hear any profane words from them,

Maybe the old timers need to go and retake there tests to learn how ham radio is to be operated,
    they just operate the way they want because they think they own the bands because they have been there for years,

Well enough said, and I could go on for hours about this,  

So you can Wine all you want, but the change is comming,
    and you are not going to be the ones the make the final vote, the fcc is.[/b][/size]

8. W0LC

W0LC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, soon we will have a dollar here with all the 2 cents worth being tossed into the pot! Hi!
    Here's mine too:

I was licensed waaaay back in the early 70's when there was incentive licensing, you know, you have a novice license for a 2 year period with the incentive to either upgrade, or get out of the hobby.

Guess what. It worked for me and 1000's of others. We didn't encounter the massive crowds of individuals that "couldn't upgrade" because of some handicap, disability, etc. There were and still are provisions for individuals with those afflictions.

What did I learn? As novice, I learned how to build some homemade stuff, albeit, not serious stuff, but antenna tuners, antennas, small electronics projects, etc. Why? Because I had the desire to remain in the hobby and I wanted to learn something, achieve something.

When I purchased my Ameco study guide for the General test, I studied, reviewed and memorized various aspects. I practiced code (with a straight key) to get to 13 wpm and it had to sound decent, not left foot sent. Back then, it was the Feds that administered the exams.

I passed the General. For a while, I once again learned. I learned how to operate SSB, set mike levels, compression levels, avoid splattering, working split, working DX. I also learned how to pass traffice, run phone patches, etc.

There was none of the "Dick Bash" test memorization stuff out there. I decided to go one more rung up the ladder (albeit, I didn't see a significant difference in what I could do as a General as compared to the Advanced), but it was a goal.

Once again, I studied, practiced, etc. I failed the written test by one because I failed to study certain material that I didn't realize would be tested. I went back, studied, practiced, etc., and passed a few months later along with some friends.

Later, I went for the Extra class for many of the same reasons. Am I an elitest? I doubt it. I am still learning from those with more knowledge then I. I am continually reading new and interesting technological issues that I never heard of before.

I enjoy this hobby. Why? Because I can turn on a radio and talk to someone across the globe without restrictions and make new friends and at the same time, help others (handling traffic, etc.).

I have seen the hobby digress to the point of approaching "box top" operators. What I mean by that is:
    We have continually relaxed this and that to get "new blood" into the hobby because it is "dying". BS!
    We have gone from individuals picking up a real study guide, learning code to individuals memorizing answers, some whining about having to learn a 5 wpm code exam, etc.

The underlying question is this: If you (individually) are so serious about preserving this great, wonderful and fun hobby, why do you continually want to reduce the entry level requirements to what end goal? Numbers? Is it quantity or quality you want? Individuals complain when they go into stores where high school kids work for peanuts and know nothing or little about the products and yet we whine about "service" but don't want to "pay too much".

You get what you sow!

I for one what to preserve this hobby of amateurs that over the years, have demonstrated time and time again, great professionalism. We are there in emergencies, we help with communications, we investigate and tinker with new technologies, ideas, etc. We are far more then a bunch of "fat old guys" sitting around rag chewing on 75 meters about the weather.

I see the Feds getting out of the licensing thing for amateurs eventually. I see the Feds selling off spectrum, I see the bands becoming more and more public forums for those that want a soapbox to use for their personal agendas.

I will continue "enjoying" the hobby as much as possible. But I won't hold my breath of where we are heading.

Good luck to all, and flame away if you must. My opinion only (I assume I am entitled to that)!

9. AG4RQ

AG4RQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If the VEs want it that easy, why not eliminate testing altogether? This latest proposal is another nail in the coffin of  CB --er I mean ham radio. Oh well. Another piece of trash proposal to comment against on ECFS. [​IMG]  [​IMG]

10. KC2KFC

KC2KFC Ham Member QRZ Page

Another scheme on the horizon. How many of these proposals do we have to go through? Here's a suggestion... Just do away with the whole VE program, no more tests either. You just send in your $12 to the FCC and they give you an Extra class license. Then you don't have to worry about spending money on a study guide. Think of all the money these guys would lose by not being able to sell the answers to the exams.

11. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Once a snowball starts melting, refreezing it does not give you the same thing you had when it started. It is no longer soft and fluffy!

Ham radio has been on a downhill run for quality and professionalism for nearly two decades. There is very little that could be done at this late date to turn it around and make it resemble the hobby so many tens of thousands over the years respected.

With that in mind, I say, "Hey, it's already broken, so let's finish the job." Without any facetiousness, I am in favor of either the ARRL or the W5YI proposal, and though I would prefer some semblance of code be retained for at least the Extra, if it isn't, it is no big deal. The Extra Class ticket has stopped being anything "extra" long ago. So five words per minute code speed isn't going to bring back the pride involved in that license, or in any part of ham radio.

Clearly there will be major changes in amateur radio, whether it is the ARRL proposal or the W5YI one, or something else. It is being taken further and further toward a Citizens' Amateur Radio Service, and I no longer care. What I do care about is getting something done now, so we can start on the next level of disruption and degradation, perhaps down to no licensing at all. As Nike says, "Just do it." Or, 'make your mess and get off the pot.'

Some of those posting are proof there really is a correlation between wanting more of it for free and the ability to spell, write, or communicate. That is a reflection on our society and its educational values. But even the badly misspelled and semi-incoherent postings carrying the same plea to "make it easier" will, in the long run, have little effect. The die is cast, and the fat lady is taking a very deep breath, ready to let wail.

And I don't care! What a nice, comfortable feeling! I've had my 47 years in the hobby, and though the last few were wracked with watching the cancer that destroyed CB invade ham radio, I have been able to get on the air, to have nice contacts, to repair radio equipment, to assist new hams who have an interest in learning, and to pretty much continue as I always have. I do not have to get upset over the disease that now inhabits ham radio, as there are still immune areas to go. And I can go there, even if one of them is to my work bench with a soldering iron.

A KB1 asks if she should have just waited. But she chose not to, instead deciding to go ahead and pass the code and get on HF. She joins a few hundred thousand who went before her, from the beginning of this hobby to right now, who simply said "Ah, so that's the requirement? Then I shall pass it." She did not hang with the lazy generation types.

But she could have. For clearly, all those who deem ham radio not worthy of effort will not have to exert any. All they have to do is wait a little longer, then, when this next restructuring has taken ham radio down a few more notches, they can start the campaign to lower it further.

Enjoy

I'll be on CW! (Without a keyboard)

Ed

12. K6IRP

K6IRP Ham Member QRZ Page

What a joke-------possibly worse than the lame arrl proposal----unreal

Give away--dumb down--this benefits no serious enthusiast in the long run...it will however sell a few more radios and give the no coders something else to complain about--and they will...

I am glad I studied to learn the code, don't get me wrong it was worth it. But what a tremendous kick in the --- to Generals from VEC's and the arrl...------Code is a mode of operation, fundemental to the history of the hobby and frankly, if you have a decent station and can hear 15,40 and 80 you know its used, quite often its overused! ..What else should we eliminate testing on?---This proposal is so full of errors its hard to comment on....-Chris

13. K6IRP

K6IRP Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W9GRN @ Mar. 16 2004,12:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'll take a pass on this proposal Fred.If you haven't worked for it, it's not the same. That's one of the reasons I got of c.b. because they trashed the 11 meter band out and it was no fun anymore. Thanks but no thanks. [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well said---this is a no brainer folks...

14. V73GOD

V73GOD Ham Member QRZ Page

Why don't we just include a license form with the radio warranty card? Fill it out, wait a couple days for your license but operate as a pirate in the mean time. That way you get the feel of it. I think it's all very silly. I am an Advanced Class Holder and "grandfathering" that class would be just fine. I was dumb enough to get in the hobby before "give-a-way" licenses so I should be punished for over acheiving. This "no one left behind" mentality really means, "don't move forward, so no one feels bad about not making the grade."

15. N3NL

N3NL Guest

Why are the new Communicator hams not allowed
    to build equipment in this proposal?
    "In addition, the NCVEC proposed mandatory low voltage to the final transmitter amplifier stage and that only commercially manufactured transmitters be used by Communicator Class licensees."
    Instead we should encourage these new hams to
    build their own basic Amplitude Modulation (AM)
    transmitters for HF operation.  Many of us, myself
    included, learn better by building equipment
    instead of just studying a text book.  I hope that the
    FCC will be smart enough not to include this
    "feature" in any future ham radio license
    restructuring.
    73, Nickolaus E. Leggett, N3NL Extra Class
    and inventor
      [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.