ad: elecraft

VBand

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KG7WGX, Jan 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you imagine having a Bluetooth enabled portable key to use with Vband on your mobile device!?!? One of those touch-type paddles would lend itself well for that.

Yep. Someone go ahead and make it...just give me an honorable mention in a footnote somewhere.

N8AFT likes this.
  2. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just give it time Jon, someone somehwar will come up with it!

KK9W likes this.
  3. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Replacement USB adapter arrived and it installed without any errors.

It survived a 15 minute session on the Practice Channel at 15 wpm without doing a "device disconnect" or adding any stray key closures. I used the QRZ lookup feature, which means the VBand tab no longer has the focus, and then tried it again after returning to VBand. Works fine. To test straight key mode, I just tapped on the L paddle and that works, too.

Looking forward to using it instead of the [ ] keys.

4. WA6FX

WA6FX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had to go through a couple of adapters to get one that works as well. This one works perfectly, some of the time.
    I can't find the reason yet why it starts to disconnect or will only work sending dahs and no dits.
    Or just not work at all. When it does work, practicing code on Vband is a blast!

5. KG7WGX

I have to report a second failure, identical to the first. Device disconnect, reconnect tones, followed by a string of dahs and then a continuous key down.

I will continue to use VBand, occasionally to help others learn, but it isn't going to be the same experience without the adapter.

6. N8AFT

Hmmmm... mine has yet to arrive... I sure hope mine works better than yours.
    YES, using the CTRL key is much easier than the ] key to manipulate.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  7. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

I got one of the vband USB adapters a few days ago. It won't connect to my MacBook (running Big Sur) as a keyboard HID. Not sure what's wrong.

I did get a BBC micro:bit to connect a key as a Bluetooth MIDI device. With it I can use one of my vintage straight keys to play CW tones on one of the MIDI music apps on my Mac. Perhaps there's a way to connect that to the vband web page as well?

8. KG7WGX

The source code shows the VBand page is polling for the L and R Ctrl key presses.

I found this, which would be an alternative for those able to write the correct code -

https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/337

I don't think there is a way to modify the web page to work with different inputs -- anything you build has to look like a keyboard and the key input has to create L and R Ctrl key presses. There are no characters being sent.

9. N8AFT

Received my adapter in Saterdy's post.
    It works flawlessly... Glad it was available...
    Makes operating on Vband a real pleasure now!

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

10. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just tried this, as my daughter is learning CW . . .

However, it's rather difficult unless you send VERY slow . . . because of the delay between hitting the key and the site playing the tone.

Maybe that's due to the delay to Britain via the Internet?

Roger G3YRO