Vanity Calls

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KA5ROW, May 24, 2011.

?

Do you think vanity calls are good or bad?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2011.
  1. Yes: I like the vanity call option.

79.2%
  2. No: live with whatever I am issued.

20.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you think vanity calls are good or bad?

I believe whatever call you get you should be stuck with, like it or not. And should be offerd a change with upgrade in license, or change in call district.

2. KG6MZS

KG6MZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd love a 1x2 instead of the short novel I currently have. It would have to be a 6 call, which makes it tough.

3. W5IEM

W5IEM Ham Member QRZ Page

As soon as I received my callsign (KK4AJG, which has to be one of the worst calls ever) I put in for a Vanity Call. I now have my late grandfather's old call.

I know that there are some ways that I could have received his old call by showing that I am a relative, but the vanity system made it much easier...

4. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I never thought I'd want a vanity call until I realized how much trouble people were having understanding it. When I upgraded to general I realized a shorter call would be better for DX

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No. One of the worst calls ever was WN9HJW. That's the sequentially-issued call I held as a Novice in 1971-72.

And . . . I just filed an application to get that call back as a Vanity!

People are going to think I'm nuts giving up NN4RH for WN9HJW.

6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My personal second-worst call was AI4CB, which was the sequentially-assigned call I got when I applied for a new callsign upon my upgrade from General to Extra in 2002.

I stuck it out for a couple years, but eventually went for a Vanity (NN4RH) because too many people were assuming I was a "CBer" and that AI4CB was a vanity.

7. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

I traded in my old call, KI4PEQ, for my current one, W4RLR. It's correct in call sign area, and the last three letters are my initials. It was too good to pass up.

8. G4OTU

G4OTU Ham Member QRZ Page

We don't really have Vanity calls in the same way here....you can apply for a "grandfather" call if you're lucky enough to have a dead relative who was licenced...you can ask for your initials in the last 3 letters if they are not already taken - but that's about it.

That said ,my call was issued sequentially over 30 years ago...I've got used to it over the years to the point that I can pick it out of the deepest qrm with no trouble at all(CW that is ).....wouldn't swap now for anything....and it has a nice cadence to it when sent .

I think that , in the case of CW , there are some calls which are inherently awkward to send and I can understand if someone with such a call wishes to change. Equally some calls are very easy to send incorrectly,. One that immediately springs to mind is the call BV100 the Taiwanese centennial station. When I worked him a few weeks ago the op was sending the "one zero zero" strung together in a continuous string of 14 dashes!

9. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

They are a good deal and increase the FCC coffers add gives us a call we want.

10. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the current system is a win-win. When I got re-licensed last year I was handed kd0jxg. Try that one phonetically 3 or four times in a row and tell me how you like it.

My current vanity uses the same suffex I got with my first general ticket circa 1980. The previous owner went SK some years ago and the call was lying dormant in the database. I really am in the zero call area, and I really am west of the Mississippi which, at one time, meant a W prefix. Also, unlike years ago, it takes most of us a few seconds to find the real name and address of the call holder if we want that info. I just don't see a problem with the current practice. Certainly the price isn't an issue. 73

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.