Vanity Call Sign Questions and Answers?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NY2FM, Sep 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NY2FM

NY2FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

I'm new here, so I'd like to ask where can I get answers to Vanity Call Sign questions?

I have attempted multiple times to apply for Vanity Call Sign, checked them all to be sure they're available and long expired, but I keep getting dismissed each time by the FCC, and for the love of Mike I can't figure it out what am I doing wrong?!

So I figured I ask here, maybe finally I get an answer, but I don't even know WHERE should I post my question?!

Any help is appreciated.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Its a game of chance.

NL7W likes this.
  3. NY2FM

Some of the call signs I've listed in my app had long expired, some decades with no one claiming them, so what are the chances that suddenly just when I apply they become unavailable? I've checked them and they are STILL available, so I don't get it. What do I need to do to get one, beyond filing the app at the ULS site?

4. KP4SX

Could you give some specific examples?

5. NY2FM

Sure!
    - First I go to http://www.radioqth.net/vanity/available/ - and do the search for 1+2 and 2+1 signs, since I'm an Extra.
    - Select the ones that are indicated as 'Available', now I know they must be expired for more than 2 years, before I selected all.
    - List them up, log in to ULS, fill out the form, submit and then 18 days later I can see my app gets dismissed time and again.

I've tried a couple of times over the years, but never ever managed to get one, even though they were all indicated as 'Available', some for a very long time.

I've checked the ULS form, but it's pretty self-explanatory, can't mess it up, so I don't get it.

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

You could win on your first try, or never get granted one after a dozen tries. AFAIK there is no rhyme or reason to the process beyond getting your application in on time (neither early or late) and being of the correct grade for the call sought.

I got mine on the seventh try. I told myself that if it didn't happen by the seventh try, it wasn't meant to be. Which was weird.

The fact that vanity calls exist really pisses some people off, so expect to get some guff at some point.

Edit - I watched on AE7Q, not sure if that made one iota of a difference.

7. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you trying to get a 1x2 or 2x1 callsign? If so, then you need to get well acquainted with this site: http://www.ae7q.com/query/ - and even if you do, there is no guarantee of success any time soon. The timing is critical and the competition in the lottery can be tough.

It is much easier to find an available less desirable (longer) callsign.

Identify a callsign you would like to apply for, and I will tell you exactly what date to apply for it, and how I determined what that date is. Then I can tell you how much competition you have and what date the lottery process will take place.

Glenn

K8PG likes this.
  8. NY2FM

I'd just really like to get a short one. I have never heard that Vanity Signs tick off people and why, but honestly I couldn't care less, even if it does.

K3EY likes this.
  9. KP4SX

Which specific callsigns were you denied. Just give us 2 or 3. The link you provided only shows two calls available in 7-land. I imagine there is a lot of competition for those two.
    I see you are in NY. Are you planning on moving to 7-land?

10. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018