ad: Correctmanual-1

Value of incentive licensing today

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB7QPS, Feb 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

People need someone to blame, "It must be the dadgum ex-CBers!" Conveniently forgetting that this stuff has always gone on. I recall 75 being pretty bad in that regard in the 70s and 80s, at least.

The difference today? The relative lack of FCC enforcement. Now, I don't really know if we should have been as afraid of the FCC monitors as many of us were in the 70s, say, but they sure had put the fear of God in us and we tended to behave just a little better. Most of us, but not all of us. But it's certainly true that most are aware that you have to do something really bad to get the FCC to notice you today...a lot worse than forgetting to ID after ten minutes. ;)

WU8Y likes this.
  2. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a fine point. If you were licensed before 80m was expanded the bandwidth was a gift, not retroactively earned because you had previously passed the Extra elements.
    For my part it "could" be considered "theft" because the bandwidth was there when I was licensed. I'm not sure it is theft. I mean I can still use it, right? Give it to PACTOR-4 ? Yeah I'd be a bit cantankerous about that.

I'm also a proponent of "take a seat, no waiting, 35-50 questions, 75% or better is a winner" .
    Whether memorized or studied the material the results are what counts. Of course the game is rigged.

All I can do is teach the material and give the exams.

I'll file a comment in due course. Will any of you ?

N2EY likes this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

The tests today aren't substantially different from when you got your license.

Could you pass today's tests without any preparation?

That's primarily because of the lack of effective FCC enforcement since the 1980s. Remember "deregulation"?

No it hasn't. The numbers have not grown that fast.

Code wasn't done away with. The code tests were gradually reduced and finally eliminated. Did YOU ever pass 20 wpm code? Ever pass a code sending test?

You must only operate on 'phone, then.

Do not blame ARRL for what FCC did. The ARRL proposals to FCC all retained the Advanced class, but FCC wanted three license classes.

The technical questions from the old Advanced test were added to the Extra pool back in 2000.

Could YOU pass ALL the license tests for today's Extra? Could YOU pass 20 wpm code, sending and receiving, TODAY? Without any preparation for any of them?

4. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Then you will continue to be wrong.

I've been an Extra far longer than you, and I say FCC was incorrect and wrong. Extras do not need 100 kHz of exclusive phone/image space on 75 meters. 50 kHz is more than enough. There is no reason for 75 meters to be four times the bandwidth of 80 meters.

Extras have ALL allocated amateur radio spectrum. Been that way since 1951. That will continue. There is no "theft".

However, Generals and Advanceds LOST CW/data spectrum back in 2006. That WAS indeed a THEFT from them.

Then you will continue to be wrong.

No such thing. You've run out of rational arguments so you're just tossing out buzzwords.

How will studying get 3600-3650 back for CW and data modes?

You keep preaching about studying, snowflakes, whining and such. Yet I'll bet your ability to apply what you claim to know is far below that of many you call names.

5. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You and I have 100 KHz of space from 3.5 to 3.6, what more do you need? Sounds like greed to me.

Studying to get more spectrum is not a "buzzword."
    Studying is not a sin is not a "buzzword."
    Snowflakes need to work harder is not a "buzzword."
    The FCC is much smarter than you and I both is not a "buzzword."
    The FCC did the right thing is not a "buzzword."
    Gimmies to Snowflakes is is not a "buzzword."

But,

Your continued liberal thinking is painful and misguided.

de NK2U

6. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

You say "Liberal" like some say "Racist".

7. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

50 kHz more.

You have 400 kHz from 3.6 to 4.0. Why do you need so much? Sounds like greed to me.

I got all the available US amateur spectrum in 1968. Had it a few weeks, then got it back in 1970. In those days you needed two years' experience as a General or higher just to try the Extra.

Do not lecture me about "studying". You do not know what you do not know.

Who do you mean by "snowflakes"?

Neither is a buzzword. Neither is true.

Yes, they all are. You keep tossing them out - and you're still wrong.

How is what I have posted in any way "liberal"?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means, what you think it means.

It is....interesting.....that you do not answer my questions.

WU8Y likes this.
  8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

N2EY likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Whenever I'm at a place where they give out these stickers:

2000px-Hello_my_name_is_sticker.svg_.png

you can guess how I fill it out.

WU8Y likes this.
  10. K7JEM