ad: CARC-1

Vacuum tubes improved in China

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W5INC, May 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Fooling around with the stereo amps, 2 mono block @ 4 KT88s I have been looking into getting some new KT 88s for the project. Shuguang, a tube manufacturer over in China for over 50 years now has been using a HPCC coating on the inside of their tubes for a while now. It is supposed to keep stray electrons from reflecting off the glass envelope of the tube and promote directional solidification and single crystallization. So is the directional solidification the actual electron flow from grid to plate? What exactly is single crystallization in a tube as I haven't heard of these terms before.

I have been told that these new designed tubes from China are very good indeed and the tube manufacturers over in Europe, South America and Russia are now adapting to the new HPCC coatings also. So is there actually something new happening in vacuum tube technology these days? Shuguang has produced 80% of the World's 300Bs that have been sold up to this PIT.

shun.jpg

2. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be because it's nonsense.

N2EY and WA5VGO like this.
  3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda like Oxygen Free Copper cabling? Snake Oil?

4. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess they do have Chinese carnival barkers after all. :)

5. W9BRD

Not kinda -- rebranded snake oil. That said, I'm pleased that every so often such a reference comes along that reminds me of a great Bob Pease article that teaches us about soakage -- an actual electrical effect that anyone who discharges a capacitor only to see some of its charge slowly return in the absence of a power source -- and then ends up talking about the Celluloid Cat versus the Asbestos Dog and how that fable relates to the likelihood that anyone could actually hear or measure a difference between classical NOS KT-88s and modern equivalents hardened against "single crystallization": https://www.electronicdesign.com/analog/whats-all-soakage-stuff-anyhow

N2EY likes this.
  6. W9BRD

Just be advised that upper-case omega symbols -- the symbol we use for ohms -- fell out of the discussion of AF power amplifiers driving speaker loads later in the piece. (He's assuming 1 ohm as the output Z of his hypothetical amplifier driving an 8-ohm speaker load.) Such are the dangers of moving electronic text from one publishing system/coding to another (maybe several times) and not having a human verify that the translation was entirely sound.

N2EY likes this.
  7. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

It may have suffered much in translation.

They may be trying to describe electrons moving and depositing on a surface, grid to plate ..as more efficient with the coating inside the glass.

One thing I got from Mandarin Chinese taught by a Chinese scholar is that many words and many meanings are connected to the written appearance of one word, and poetry or the metric as much as pronunciation or inflection is the apparent connection for us to hear the intended meaning.

It is different than an idiomatic expression, it is more nearly a metaphor.

W9BRD, W5INC and AG5DB like this.
  8. NW2K

NW2K Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the purpose of the black/dark coatings inside 40's/50's era tubes like 6V6, 6SN7 etc? Was it a marketing thing or did it provide some useful thermal, mechanical, or electrical function?

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"May you live in interesting times."

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Getter flash.