V55V's Rhombics - A Big Signal Out of Africa!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by DK7PE, Mar 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

MI0YLT likes this.
  2. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Summer for reading my little comments ! by the way I checked my logs & I say two more V55V logs WOW ! in the 2012 contest & 2013 contest both on 10 meters SSB ! what a surprise ! & thanks to DK7PE also 73 Summer hope we can all work in the coming years .. Phil KI6PMD

MI0YLT likes this.
  3. K2JX

K2JX Ham Member QRZ Page

I will not argue with the merits or faults with Rhombic antenna's, I'm not an Antenna Engineer. However, I can tell you that they really work. Back in late 1970's when RCA World Communications (Rocky Point New York) HF station was still active here on Long Island, Alex, AI2Q and I were friends with the station manager, Mr. Bob McGraw, W2LYH, (SK). On a visit one day Bob had his Heathkit HW-8 QRP rig up on the air feeding a 13,000' wire Rhombic antenna beamed to Liberia. Alex, AI2Q sat down at the key, called CQ and immediately received a reply ! I don't remember what Ham band we were on, but not one operator on the other end of the QSO believed we were running 8 watts input to the antenna in use. When Alex replied "8 watts hr OM, antenna Rhombic on 100' poles" There was a moment of silence on the other end. Nobody would believe what our operating conditions were that day. It's one of my most treasured memories during my long Ham career. As a side comment, how could V55V not win Contest's with those antenna's and a clear shot to the horizon ? I enjoyed the video, well done !
    de K2JX

DK7PE likes this.
  4. DK7PE

DK7PE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John,
    it took 45 years until I finally had the chance to work on such a huge antenna. So far I only knew it in theory and from the receiving side when Martins signal was booming in while I operated out of the Pacific or of course out of Germany.
    Since there are only a few of these antennas around, using one of them was probably a once in a lifetime experience to us. I enjoyed it! Thank you Martin!