UV-5R Programming

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N4MRW, Jun 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N4MRW

N4MRW Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know of how to run programming software for a UV-5R without the CD that came with it? Looking for an alternative for programming software to add repeaters since the computers I only have tablet and mobile phone at my QTH.
    Thanks

2. KN4QNA

KN4QNA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

CHIRP works though it is a PITA. RT Systems has software to program it that does work

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you don't have a PC, the only option is programming it manually. Not a joy, but not as bad as you might think. There are instructions on the web that make the process easier than what's in the "manual."

If you do get your hands on a PC, CHIRP is much, and I do mean much, better than the Baofeng software.

5. N4MRW

N4MRW Ham Member QRZ Page

6. VA7WYA

VA7WYA QRZ Member

I agree Chrip works. easy enough. I would love to see if some one couple make it run on andriod or ios.
    I have used it on linux as well but had issues with the usb config of the old computer(some some bug I couldnt get around)

7. N5YM

N5YM Ham Member QRZ Page

Since you said you only have access to a tablet and phone, I will not suggest either CHIRP or RT Systems applications, since they seem to be optimized for computers.

Instead, you seem to need some guidance to programming the UV-5R from the keypad.

I made up a little bifold reference card for my wallet to program my UV-5R when I don't have computer access. It is in Adobe .pdf format, so you should be able to use it on your tablet. I’m going to try to attach it here, but if that does not work, then send me your e-mail address, I will forward a copy to you.

Mike, N5YM

Attached Files: