ad: CARC-1

USPS- Caveat Emptor

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KC1GZG, Jan 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

yes,

the paypal thing works well, you did it correctly. hard to get much more simpler and straight forward.

the usps will be just tickled to get your little part in the check from pay pal at the end of the month

confirming what john says below, paypal doesn't care if the item was (or was not) sold thru e-bay when it comes to using their shipping and related discounts and tools. they are just happy to be in the middle of yet another transaction

ps: it was silly of usps to drop the click and ship discount. it was no hassle money for them

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    WB0MPB likes this.
  2. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi John. Not a dumb question. If someone pays through Paypal, they give you a discount on shipping. Somewhere I read that they do that because as a seller, you are paying a percentage to eBay for the shipping charges. I cannot verify that though.

I believe that even if the sale is not an eBay sale, and the buyer pays via Paypal, you still get a discount. A sale here on QRZ and the buyer uses Paypal is an example. Used to get a discount if you used USPS's "Click and Ship", but USPS stopped that a while back.

Anyway, I have shipped dozens of flat rate boxes with the shipping label being printed through Paypal's site, received the discounted rate, and never had a problem.

Hope this helps. 73, John N3AB

WB0MPB likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've gotten parcels via USPS packed in UPS/Fedex bubble envelopes and the ' system' didn't seem to care. Like OXP says...its whats on the label that counts...but that assumes the proper printed label and not some hand scrawled address label. If I take a parcel in a UPS/Fedex envelope to the post office for shipping of course they are going to send me away for repacking because they have to do a de facto inspection.
    I had one a-hole postal clerk send me away because I had used a liquor box and even though I had spray painted over all the indications of its previous use his sharp eye was able to detect what it was in an earlier life and wouldn't accept it.

MPB,you do get a discount using ebay shipping as opposed to the counter rate if you print your own labels and pay online. Post office won't give a discount for online labels for First Class (Parcel) but ebay will.

WB0MPB likes this.
  4. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks so much for the input from you all. I feel better now that I know I did it right and it will work.
    John, WB0MPB

WB7OXP likes this.
  5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Basically true.
    There is a 70 pound limit on flat rate priority mail. It is unlikely that anyone would even approach that I would think!!
    You could ship a bowling ball if it would fit in the box okay. That brings up another issue in that they won't accept any bulged boxes in priority mail. It is all designed for their ease of handling, stacking etc.
    Yes that is the program. They give (or gave?) a discount for online pre paid customers. It is less hassle for their counter workers as well as you.
    Nothing quite like walking into a post office around Christmas with a line of customers that goes well out into the lobby with pre paid boxes, walking past EVERYONE, planting my boxes on the counter and walking out, not waiting for anything or anyone!!

And guess what? There's more!
    With priority mail you don't even have to go to the post office! You can schedule online for your delivery driver to pick up priority mail pre paid boxes from your home when he makes a delivery! That was GREAT after I had foot surgery a couple years ago.

You can also order priority mailing supplies online and they will deliver them to you home for free. Only thing is that they deliver the boxes in a pack of 10 which may be a lot more than you need.

Not sending flat rate? I bought a $15 scale from harbor freight that weighs up to 12 lbs. and can read by the ounce as well. Well worth it if you ship a lot of stuff.
    I don't think they care about the "abuse" of a different shipping company's supplies, just their own. It is a very tacky way to go about shipping things however.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    N3AB and AJ4GQ like this.
  6. N2PPK

N2PPK Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think there is a single good thing I can say about my local branch.

One day they left a $130 Arrow Antenna leaning against my garage door and the next day they didn't deliver a $27 bag of cat food because they couldn't find a "secure location." They failed to leave any sort of delivery notification, but luckily Amazon alerted me to the missed delivery. I filled out a re-delivery request for the following day, and once again it didn't show up. I called the local branch and they informed me that they weren't redelivering due to increased volume during the holiday season. Instead of doing their job and delivering to my house, I had to take two hours off of work and wait in line to finish the job I'm convinced they never attempted, and surely never attempted to rectify.