Using wire shelving for ground distribution ?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WQ6N, Oct 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. WQ6N

WQ6N Ham Member QRZ Page

I make use of wire shelves to allow for air flow. I have been tossing around the idea of using them for ground distribution as well. I have a #4 ground lead coming into the operating space from an external ground matrix. I was considering attaching each horizontal wire shelf to that primary run. I also have a horizontal metal cable tray below the disk that can be used for equipment below the operating desk.

I know that this falls short of the aluminum sheeting that Mr. Zook discussed at one time. The idea is to not create any ground looping.

I am open for constructive comment.

73 de WQ6N

2. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Let us know how it does.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no reason to connect random metal objects in the shack to the shack ground line.

W4HWD and AK5B like this.
  4. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda hard to bury them?

AK5B likes this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there a particular reason for needing to distribute a ground around the shack? Old boat anchors with two wire power supplies perhaps, or an old school long wire antenna coming directly in through a window? Old school two prong outlets without ground in the house? Some unusual RFI problem?

If not, you probably don’t need to distribute a ground amongst your equipment. I presume you have your feed-lines properly grounded with surge protectors outside where they enter the house.

If you do need to, I don’t see a technical reason not to use the shelving other than making sure the connections are tight and low resistance and there aren’t any plastic shelf supports interrupting the continuity.

6. WQ6N

WQ6N Ham Member QRZ Page

After installing and comm and computer systems for over 50 years, and living in a TEMPEST world, there is nothing that I do that is random, hi.
    I must admit that during my beach camping exploits there is a bit of evolution that goes with the moment.

My radio center has two elevations of 12ft long wire shelves above the workdesk and a 10ft metal cable tray below. I agree with TZU and will apply conductive anti-oxidant keeping the lengths down to minimum. I would very much like to complete the external grounding with Mr. Zook's hard-drawn copper pipes drilled to allow rock salt leaching for a chemical ground. We have hard DG and rocks and is not the best of ground conditions and getting the pipes down 5ft is a big challenge. If you have not read Glen's articles, I would recommend doing so.