Using too much band space when working splits.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by G0HWK, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He catches some nice fish!

2. G3EDM

G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I wish the art of working "split" were still alive and well, outside DXpeditions. But that's from my selfish point of view. My rig is crystal-controlled so it is extremely hard to answer anyone calling CW CQ, unless they are aware that my answer ... could come anywhere within + or - about 5 kHz, using my "closest" crystal frequency.

As it is, I only even try to answer a CQ if it's within about 2 kHz of a crystal in my collection. With modern, narrow CW filters, it's still unlikely that they can hear me but I give it a go anyway. It does work sometimes!

I'm only recently on the air for the first time, but it must have been very different back in the days a half-century or more ago when enough hams were "rock-bound" so that hams were in the habit of tuning up and down quite a lot when listening for answers to their CQs. Also: those answering CQs must have transmitted much longer answers in order to give the "band-scanning" other op the chance to hear them.

Yes I know this is ancient history!

73 de Martin, G3EDM

3. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. Arm or Leg?

Or should we break you off a piece of that over-sugared chocolate-covered commercial watered confection?

4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

if we give him 2 breaks, he would have a breaker breaker.

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger D, waving a hand back at ya

6. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't read all the replies, so someone may have already said this:

You can feel free to use the spectrum in between the calling and listening frequency. The difference between the calling and listening frequency may be 5-15kHz, but they're transmissions are not 5-15kHz wide!

Your RIT maybe can't cover that spread but your A/B VFO split certainly can...hell my K3s can split across bands.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would guess the original poster never worked a DX station working split and maybe didn't quite understand the concept. ;)

W4HWD likes this.
  8. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Eric, i get pretty spaced out when I am working spliffs. How about you?

WZ7U likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.