Using the Vox on my IC 7800

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by G0VQY, Aug 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G0VQY

G0VQY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm hoping someone can help me with the settings for the Vox on my ICOM 7800. I bought myself a really good pair of Heil IC Proset headphone/microphone a few months ago with the intention of using it with the Vox system on my radio. There are a couple of knobs running along the bottom of the radio that you have to adjust in order to maintain a good Vox operation. These are the Vox gain and anti-Vox. I can't find anything in the manual that relates to why the knobs can be pushed in. Since I'm using a headset with a microphone just in front of my mouth I am wondering whether the anti-box needs to be backed off quite a bit. In theory, the microphone shouldn't pick up any noise whatsoever. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

How To VOX
    Anti vox is only important if you use a loudspeaker,
    Vox Gain , start low or minimum and start speaking , maybe a Shakspeare sonnet, increase Vox Gain until the transmit comes on.
    Set Vox Delay higher (clockwise) to give you some extra hang time after you stop speaking. Your preference.
    Keep reading the manual until it makes sense !
    Side Note; I only use the VOX so I can just start sending Morse with the key and the transmitter comes on.