ad: Schulman-1

Using The International Phonetic Alphabet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX4W, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WX4W

WX4W Ham Member QRZ Page

No it doesn't. It simply means I misspoke. It is ok to use the word professionalism as "to act with professionalism" in this case. Jeez everyone knows it's amateur radio for pete's sake. Please don't bother to reply as I'm done with this pettiness.

W9FL likes this.
  2. N1ZSC

N1ZSC Ham Member QRZ Page

The one I've always heard is Zulu verses Zed. It seems a lot of operators do not know Zulu, at least in my experience. I guess I don't mind it when operators use words that are different than the official NATO alphabet, but it is annoying when they don't even know the NATO words. That's pretty basic. Rich N1ZSC

3. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Zulu versus Zed is the same as Bravo versus Bee.

Zed is the name of the letter in virtually all English-speaking countries throughout the world, except one very big country in North America, where some non-hams call it Zee.

AI7PM likes this.
  4. K3CGG

K3CGG Ham Member QRZ Page

I was contacting French stations during the REF contest 3 weekends ago. I slipped up on a call that began with "Foxtrot" thinking it was "Papa". I only noticed, thankfully, a few minutes later that I had copied the wrong callsign and changed it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    KQ6XA likes this.
  5. K2JPV

K2JPV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Joe You said it all ! outstanding, and THANK YOU . 73 De K2JPV

6. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a huge difference between a P6 and an F6 callsign :)
    Is there some kind of DSP noise reduction corrupting the audio in that vid?
    Or just lack of high frequencies in the audio?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  7. PA0MHS

PA0MHS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think this is the root cause of the entire problem! Many hams who complain here that they can't get the message through to the other side with NATO but they succeed when using other phonetic alphabets. I think the root cause of that is that the "other side" doesn't understand and/or isn't trained well enough using NATO. So as long as we keep using all sorts of varieties, the problem will never go away.

W9FL, N5XH and VK6APZ like this.
  8. PA0MHS

PA0MHS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So that's F6KLO. He's a bit fast in his pronounciation but very well copied. I can't understand why you would hear Papa instead of Foxtrot. Especially the French have a very distinct difference between an A and an O.

9. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

For several years back in the 1960s I was a professional radio amateur. My paid occupation was as a Museum Assistant at the Science Museum in London, and my job was to operate and demonstrate the Museum ham radio station, GB2SM.
    :)

Walt (G3NYY)

GM4JPZ and WX4W like this.
  10. KB2AMY

KB2AMY XML Subscriber QRZ Page