ad: chuckmartin

Using The International Phonetic Alphabet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX4W, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you have hit the nail on the head. flexibility, for me some times the other stations cant get the minds around both of my Juliets. I start with Juliet November Juliet, then I will go to country names if the standard is not working. When I had just become a ham I always wondered why so many had the name Ed. I did not realize they were saying Zed.

DL6BCX, KB2PNN, N0TZU and 2 others like this.
  2. K2LED

K2LED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I find that Echo and Tango are confused . E-o.. & T-o..
    ...Lima Tango Delta? (I actually had a Ford LTD)
    Negative, Lima Echo Delta.
    Lima Tango Delta? ...
    Light Emitting Diode..
    Got it!...

I can's stand when they use phonetics on repeaters. On HF I'm listening for phonetics; on repeaters, NOT!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    K1ZBT likes this.
  3. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Presumed, yes... Incorrectly, NO... The OP correctly identified a problem. The problem is nonstandard phonetics and those who insist on using them. CBers use whatever they please. Hams follow the rules. And, yes there are rules. Ignoring them or pretending there are no rules do not make them go away.

There are opinions and there are facts. The OP was factual. Your post was only an incorrect opinion.

If only the FCC had put something about common sense in the Part 97 rules... But then, some people just can't do common sense.

John
    K4AGO

WQ4G, K1ZBT, WX4W and 1 other person like this.
  4. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

That was very well stated and I totally agree. Thank you for the post/
    John
    K4AGO

K1ZBT likes this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

o_O :rolleyes:

I saw what you did here. :D

KB2PNN likes this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, the American way. I love this country!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    WQ4G and K1ZBT like this.
  7. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm happy for you in almost but not quite as your happy dance Avatar ;)

KB2PNN likes this.
  8. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes phonetics are necessary on repeaters in trying to understand someone's call. Once understood, they are no longer needed. Not everyone speaks perfectly clear, pronounces letters the same, or even have hearing as good as we used to. There are times where certain letters are hard to discern (e.g. "B" vs. "P").

K5TCJ, VK6APZ/SK2022, K8XG and 2 others like this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2019-3-9_22-49-14.png

N8AFT, LU9FMS and KB2PNN like this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

[hugely appropriate image removed to keep the peace]

11. K4PX

K4PX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Earl is spelled Earle in Germany. And poop is spelled poup in Germany. Wtf

12. RZ1O

RZ1O Ham Member QRZ Page

Now, first of all, it is worldwide "ITU Phonetic alphabet and figure code" (ITU Radio Regulations Appendices Edition of 2016 APPENDIX 14 (REV.WRC-07) , page 257), which completely coincides with NATO Phonetic alphabet.)) I'm OK, your language, your words! But ITU first! Ran through the alphabet... I'll try to start saying 'India' at times.., if recollect ))) 'Italy' imprinted into the brain.., Who at all says India? Other letters more or less OK )) 73s! de RZ1O

KB2PNN likes this.
  13. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

No. Since I didn't state or hint at a specific mode, you apparently imagined/guessed the mode.
    As pointed out by you and others, there is nothing in Part 97 rules that REQUIRES the use of any phonetics, let alone any particular set of phonetics. Thanks for also pointing out that "hams follow the rules".
    You're one of the few who get it. :D

14. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Our contest station: GW6GW. "George Washington 6 George Washington". It never fails!

Walt (G 3 New York Yankees)

UT7UX, K3XR and K1ZBT like this.
  15. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks once again Bonnie ! & don't listen to all the "Alpha Hotel's " Hi Hi 73 Phil KI6PMD..

KQ6XA and K1ZBT like this.