ad: Mountaingoat-1

Using the Cybiko for APRS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KR1ST, Sep 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WH7QQ

WH7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Got my Cybiko Classic from Ebay for $15.00 but when it arrived, the NiMH cells would not accept a charge and had discharge marks on the contacts. One cell is shorted. Cybiko blew me off on any help and the vendor "zabootra" (Menachem Grossman) has been of no help so far. Prismatics are not easy to find and are expensive. I wired it up with an outboard holder for a pair of AA cells and that seems to work fine.

The KR1ST software loaded up easily...now working on getting a null modem adaptor which is not trivial from this remote QTH. Will be trying to make it work on a PK-88 which does support KISS mode.

WH7QQ

2. KC5YSQ

KC5YSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I got a cybiko from the same guy on ebay, no probs with it but had to email him 1 time to remind him to send it to me after a 7 day wait, he overnited it then. He's just a reseller, just use regular rechargeables for it,going to download the software and dig up my old PK-12 and work on a problem with my htx-202 and get back in there, been almost 2 yrs since I was last on aprs...thnx to k1rst for the work on software and great ideas!! may be emailing some of u guys for help if I run into a snag 8>) cya around!!
    John [​IMG]

3. KD7JJY

KD7JJY Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a cheap source of NiMH cells out there. You just have to know where to look. The flat cells that the cybiko use are the same ones in a Nokia phone 6v flat pack. Specifically, battery pack type BBH-1SF. I usually find lots of usable cells, hardly any useable packs.
    Just ask around, they are usually free at donation banks. Or you can find some at hamfests or thrift shops. Don't overlook laptop batteries, there are alot good sources out there. You just have to be able to bust up some plastic to get at it.
    [​IMG]
    Have fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.