ad: MonitorSens-1

Using SK Callsign for Repeater

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5OLV, Aug 30, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K5OLV

    K5OLV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Our local club maintains two repeaters. One of our members has floated the idea of changing one of the repeater id's to that of a founding club member who passed away a few years ago. His callsign is still listed as active and does not expire until 2019. My question is this: is it possible or even legal to use the call of a deceased amateur for repeater identification? If so, is there a registration process that is required by the FCC or any other agency to designate the call for such a use. We do not want to adopt the deceased member's call as a club callsign.
  2. KK5JY

    KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

    I believe that was your best option. Either that or have one of the members adopt that call as a vanity call, and then make them the "trustee."
  3. AG6QR

    AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Yep. You must use a currently valid call sign as the repeater's call, and it's got to be registered to someone responsible for the repeater. The currently valid call might happen to be the call for a former club member. That's not uncommon -- the club I belong to uses the call sign of a former member who is now SK.

    But you can't just start using the SK's call on a whim. The point of transmitting ID over the air is to make is possible for anyone who hears the repeater (especially the FCC) to track down the responsible person in case there is something which needs to be corrected about the repeater operation. If the call is registered to a deceased person, that call can't be legally used until it is reassigned to someone (individual or club) who is living.
    N2EY likes this.
  4. W2AI

    W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

    True. In any event; the License of the deceased amateur would either have to be cancelled or be allowed to expire on its own. Then there would be a two year waiting period for the recycled callsign to be made available.
  5. W5LZ

    W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

    "AI" has it right, you can't just swap calls when you want to. That repeater is licensed just like an individual is.
  6. K5OLV

    K5OLV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Thanks for the great answers, gentlemen. If I may ask one more that is related to this topic. One of our two repeaters has the call of another founding club member who has been sadly diagnosed with terminal cancer and is refusing treatment. What is the process for reassigning the call for that repeater when it becomes necessary?
  7. WA9SVD

    WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

    A few considerations:

    1. If a licensee becomes an SK, the family (or other responsible individual) is legally required to surrender the license to the FCC within 30 days (although it's seldom done, and not enforced.)

    2. The call used by a repeater CAN certainly be that of a SK; it's the repeater trustee that the FCC holds responsible, regardless of the call sign used.

    3. The "two year" waiting period can be circumvented by immediate family or relatives, and with proper authorization from the family, a club may be granted the call in less than 2 years.
    K5OLV likes this.
  8. WA3VJB

    WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

    On your initial topic, it sounds like your club is active and has a substantial membership list. Consider creating an affiliated club for your second repeater, with an adequate number of members drawn from the primary club to qualify for a club and a club call sign. I've seen specialty sub-sets established on their own, such as for retirees among the general membership, or youth members, elevating and showcasing their interests through the secondary club that has its own call sign, that the FCC would initially issue out of the available pool. After being assigned a club license, you may find that a close relative of the deceased licensee can sign over the calls, for which your new club applies, without waiting for expiration and the open competition that could follow among applicants.
    K5OLV likes this.
  9. W0IS

    W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

    That would probably "work," but there is one small nitpick. The rules specify that a club can get the call (prior to the ordinary waiting period) of a deceased person, but only if that person was a member during their lifetime. So if the gentleman in question was a member of the Podunk Radio Club, he wasn't a member of the Podunk Repeater Sub-Club. So the secondary club isn't really eligible until the normal waiting period has ended.

    In the case of the other gentleman, if you're thinking of doing this, then it would be a good idea to sign him up, if you can find a tactful way to do it.

    I once formed a club for a terminally ill friend, just in case the family wanted to preserve the call sign. It turned out, they didn't need to do this, since another family member got the call. But just in case, we got together the required number of members and formed a club. Then, one of his family members with a power of attorney joined the club on his behalf. It turned out not to be necessary, but had a family member not gotten the required license in time, the new club could have applied for a license and requested his call.
    K5OLV likes this.
  10. W5OXL

    W5OXL Ham Member QRZ Page

    The club I am in did something similar a few years ago. We kept our old club call sign (an SK call sign) and added the more recent SK's call sign. They are used for the club's two repeaters. The calls are W5WB (newest) and W5AUY.

    WA9SVD stated what needs to be done. We kept it legal. Look at the ULS listings for both to see what it looks like.
    K5OLV likes this.

Share This Page