Using short wave to receive ft8

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by KI5CCI, Mar 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KI5CCI

KI5CCI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a DX-394 (lw, mw, sw) receiver I'm a tech licensee is there a way I can log call signs I received so people can see where their signal has gone since I can't reply back as of yet. ( not general licensee no do I have hf rig)? -KI5CCI ( aka Alex)

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can tap the audio out, you can feed it to a PC with the FT8 software and decode the signals.

3. KI5CCI

oh i did that already i was able to receive many call signs this evening its epic to watch but i would like to let some of the senders know that i received their signal 73 -ki5cci

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good job, Alex. What you want to do is called an "SWL Report" (short wave listener). You can do it several ways:

-Mail: Send a post card with the signal report. Look up the hams' address here on the Zed.
    -Logging programs; Take a look at the various logging/QSL services like: Zed, ARRL Log of the World, and EQSL. I'm not familiar with their SWL services.

Here is a sample SWL card:
    [​IMG]

W7UUU likes this.
  5. KI5CCI

ok i will look into it thank you for the guidance i am using a program wsjt-x (fantastic program) many of the signals barely come through and digs them out of the noise. im sure its obvious im a new ham less then 6 months as tech. but i have to say its becoming addicting to try and pick up weak signals. -73 -Alex KI5CCI

6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

here is a "real time" spotting program.

https://www.dxmaps.com/wsjtdxaggregator.html

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to collect SWL/QSL cards, you must send them your card first, or use eQSL for online confirmations.

If you just want to let them know they were received, no worries, they can do that on their own by checking PSKReporter and Hamspots.

If you want them to see how they were received by your station in particular, simply enable the reporting in your decoding software. It'll send the spots automatically to the site.

As for decoding software, I see you use WSJT-X. Give JTDX a try. Decoding sensitivity has improved by a few dbs with the current version.

8. KI5CCI

JTDX OK i will look it up thank you. -ki5cci

9. KI5CCI

The Best Dx i received was last night one from an antarctic lab over 8000 miles a way and Tasmania not bad from inside a very busy city and living in a busy area with lots of bad rf flying around. I actually left my radio on for 24hrs at 7.0746 USB and massive amount of call signs observed as of this writing Israel and Hungry are the showing up.

10. KI5CCI

I got it running and it can be seen on dxmaps.com the only thing confusing to me is that it only shows very few of what I received not everything meanwhile I have txt file from the program that's shows a huge dossier curious why it doesn't show all callsigns received on the map since my radio is receive only I figured I would keep it going 24/7 to help the community (I have a spare computer and radio and an all bills paid apartment) . Any ideas? Thanks everyone who have commented and helped me. -KI5CCI