Using rs232 with out going into a usb port on the ft991 an

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KD9IGC, Mar 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD9IGC

KD9IGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Having a few issues. Trying to get any windows version to talk to my ft 991 through hrd and wsjt-x. What settings do I use on all three so that they talk through the 9 pin serial cable? Usb is not an option because the latest driver that yaesu tech support as well as the forums have directed me to will not load at all. Using the serial cable with out usb jumpers is my only option. Any help would be great thanks.

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The FT-991 manual says any straight-thru serial cable will provide CAT control. (You have to provide a 9-pin serial port on your computer and set up the parameters in all of your software so the PC and radio will communicate.)

Unlike the full USB driver support, this will not provide audio interfacing. You will have to buy/make something to connect your sound card to the radio, and set up the sound card in all of your software.

Or, you could get a RigExpert TI-8, which provides an audio interface and a serial port. And they make a cable for the FT-991. But to get this to work, you have to install the drivers for the TI-8.

Hope this helps.

3. KD9IGC

4. KD9IGC

It infact does help a lot. And makes perfect sence. That type of conection was never designed to carry. In desperation I changed settings on my computer and finally got that to work but I'll use the 9 pin on a diffrent machine with a rigblaster box that I have. Now I'm off to find the magical consistant settings for wsjtx. Thank you for your help.

5. KD9IGC

It does. That cable wasnt ever ment to carry that kind of data. Things I'd forgotten from my child hood. Thank you for you help. I'll work it in that direction.

W9GB likes this.
  6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't give up on getting the FT-991 working with just the USB cable. If you are having loading problems with the drivers, there is probably something on your PC that is preventing it. It usually turns out to be a virus scanner, or some other security issue.

A couple of months ago, a friend down the street asked me to help him with getting HRD V6 and his new FT-991 working with his Windows 10 laptop. He was totally lost. It took about an hour and included downloading and installing the drivers from Yeasu. But everything worked when we were done. It's difficult to find and set everything necessary, but when your done, the USB cable is the only cable you need. Well worth the effort.

7. KD9IGC

Turns out silabs drivers need to be fully unzipped before they can be loaded other wise it just tells you the driver is not compatible with your machine. It took me a week or so to figure that out. Then it was another 2 days or so to figure out the definative settings on the 991. So now hrd and the ft 991 are talking great. Wsjtx seems to be speraticly working. I have made 2 contacts, the radio transmits psk reporter says it sees me but I fear I have volume settings off as I haven been able to make a contact since 9am yesterday morning. I'm also looking into split mode to make more efficient contacts.