Using my License in Canada??

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by NG9B, Feb 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NG9B

NG9B Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,
    Looking to travel to Ontario CA this summer. Thinking of bringing my HF with me for some evening entertainment. While looking up the rules I ran across this:

3.1 Foreign Amateur Equivalencies

3.1.1 A foreign amateur who is not qualified to send and receive in Morse code may operate an amateur station in Canada in accordance with the provisions applicable to the holder of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with Basic Qualification.

3.1.2 A foreign amateur who is qualified to send and receive in Morse code at a speed of at least 5 w.p.m. may operate an amateur station in Canada in accordance with the provisions applicable to the holder of an Amateur Radio Operator Certificate with Basic, Morse Code (5 w.p.m.) and Advanced Qualifications.

I hold an Extra class license. I do not know morse code. What license class would I operate at?

VA7WYA likes this.
  2. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Even more interesting... I hold an extra class license. The requirements included 20 wpm at that time, but now do not. So am I "qualified" to operate in Canada? Seems a little ambiguous.

K0UO likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just go ahead and operate as /VE or VO whatever.

However, it's really only legitimate if you place a maple leaf banner, flag or decal at your operating location.:):p

K0UO likes this.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Morse, eh?

5. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Rather than depend on the opinions (and that's all you'll get) of anyone on QRZ.com -- I suggest that you contact the Canadian equivalent of ARRL -- Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC):

https://www.rac.ca/contact-rac-hq/

;)

NG9B, AC0GT and PY2RAF like this.
  6. NG9B

NG9B Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks and message sent!

7. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, did you hear back from them?
    What did they tell you?

VA7WYA likes this.
  8. NG9B

NG9B Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got a reply yesterday:
    Hi Mike,

The US and Canada have a fully reciprocal operating agreement in place, and any licence obtained in one country allows operation in the other without the need for any special permission or extra licensing. When in Canada you may operate freely, under the same restrictions you would normally be under in the US. When identifying yourself by call sign, please add "/VE3 mobile" to identify yourself properly, and that should be sufficient.

In the past, licensing in Canada did require a certain level of proficiency with morse code, but that requirement was removed a few decades ago; licences for morse are now given out separately. Not having any morse qualifications will not be an impediment to your operation here.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Enjoy your trip!

Adam MacDonell, RAC Office Manager
    Radio Amateurs of Canada Incorporated
    720 Belfast Road, Suite 217

Ottawa, ON K1G 0Z5
    Tel: 613-244-4367- 1-877-273-8304

VA7WYA, N7WR, N5CM and 1 other person like this.
  9. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt you will be crossing Ontario this summer. Border is closed, only open to commercial traffic. And it may remain that way well into the summer months due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

However if the border does open you can operate and simply use your call and portable VE3. Anyone can operate HF here as long as they had a mark of 85% on the basic test. Up to 500 Watts PEP.

Plus to be honest with you. There is no enforcement up here these days. We have clowns on the air here who have no right to be on the air. And yet there they are!

NG9B and K2CQW like this.