Using Icom IC-PW1 in combination LDG AT1000ProII

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by NG0Z, Apr 13, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. NG0Z

NG0Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have three antennas:

Hex Beam; Low SWR
    200' Doublet; High SWR
    DXE-MBVE-1 43' Vertical; Very High SWR

...and now have an Icom IC-PW1.

I would like to use the tuner on the PW1 for the Hex Beam and pass through the other two antennas to the LDG AT1000ProII Autotuner , and vice versa (put the LDG on standby) for the Hex Beam which needs little to no tuning, while being able to use the antenna switching on the PW1 and of course the Amp on the PW1 for all three antennas.

With a 3:1 limit on the Icom IC-PW1, it will not be able to tune the high SWR antennas and the LDG handles them very well.

Certainly an option on the IC-PW1 is to completely disable the tuner and rely on the LDG, but I still want to at least use the antenna switching on the PW1.

Exciter is an Icom IC-7600.

The question is, other than insertion losses, are there any concerns with this approach?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't think of any problems as long as you have a way to set the TUNE power output to something low, which means obviously never using the LDG with the PW-1 enabled.

To assure not blowing up the LDG, I'd wire up a lockout system so the PW-1 cannot possibly key while the LDG is tuning.

3. NG0Z

I think if I caught it quick I would be okay as the LDG is good to 1KW...I know I've accidentally run 600 Watts through it a few times as it tuned...good point though thank you.

4. WB2WIK

The relay contacts in the tuner will arc, burn, weld and fail quickly.

Don't do that.:)

5. NG0Z

Steven - I look forward to our next QSO which will probably come your way via my new amp!

6. WB2WIK

Guess we've worked before, and I look forward to the big signal.