using hri-200 with ft-991a wires x

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W3ZDX, May 27, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC1OGS

KC1OGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you looking to sell the FTM? (sorry for the double post)

2. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry - already traded in. I doubt it would have been economical to ship it across the Atlantic anyway!

Martin

3. KE1THE

KE1THE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to know more about this Ham it up, how you installed it, have it setup, what it provides etc for the 991a (I just got one). Thanks!

4. KC1OGS

@KE1THE, Sorry for late reply, but never got an email update. I have a long list of documentation I need to catch up on that I am working on for new Hams like me (kinda a lessons learned and a reference for people starting up). Please Note that I just got Tech license in Dec 2020, General Feb 2021, and Extra (hoping June). I have built 3 antennas so far, Setup the SDR (for waterfall), Setting up Digital like FT8, Digipan, experimented with VNAs and antenna tuning, and TRYING to get wire-x to work.. Status update Wires-x. Got FTM-400, HRI-200, and I can only get wiresx to work directly connected to computer with sc-20 cable. It will not work with hri-200. Working with support now. on the SDR, I tried HDSDR, CubicSDR and this allows me to see alot WIDER Bandwidth vs the Yaesu to see where activity is. I printed a 3d case for the Ham it up board and you can see from the picture you still need the dongle RTL. ALso I use a USB battery for clean power. You also NEED MFJ-1708B-SDR so you don't blow it up during transmit. I can send you more images if you email me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

KE1THE likes this.
  5. KC1OGS

Status update. Got to listen in with wires-x software, but no one can hear me. This is the 400 connected to the computer with sc-20 only. Listened to a bunch of tech nodes and this is what I learned. you boot PDN mode for 400 connected directly, you boot wire-x Mode for HRI. The A/B sometimes works to get it in DIRECT mode and sometimes not. (reboot required?). Also everyone agrees HRI-200 is a PAIN!. there are things much better like PI-Star, and RF-Shark. Also learned you do not always need a wires x account because of this thing YSF Reflector (did not Know these exist). Also if I want to have the ability to use the HRI and the FTM-400 configured either in PDN or Wires-x Mode, I NEED two Wires -x accounts with two emails and two logins!!!!?? Also connecting the FTM-400 Directly does not allow access to rooms that also support analog. Not sure if I can fix this. I may have to try the HRI again and see if I can setup an Access Node and try to get the 991 to work.

KE1THE likes this.
  6. KC1OGS

I also forgot to comment on getting past the blocked ports and gettings wires-x to pass the checks. You have to make sure your router assigns a static IP for your computer, and you open the ports in the wires X manual. I also made sure the wires-x.exe and the other Exe file were allowed full access through the windows inbound and outbound traffic. That gave me all green checks. on the YSF Reflector; check out https://qso365.co.uk/2020/02/how-to-set-up-a-yaesu-system-fusion-reflector-ysfreflector/ for more details.

ND7C and KE1THE like this.
  7. ND7C

ND7C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any 991a users with an Hri-200 had success? Please share, thus the thread. Seems simple things like this are convoluted by lack of clear instruction and escalation path, not happy with the hri-200 setup, beyond wonderful centurylink. Any success stories and lessons learned please chime in! 73 ND7C

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  8. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to make sure that this is clear to anyone else who comes across this forum:

The HRI-200 is intended for use with the FTM-100, FTM-400, and FTM-300; also the DR1X and DR2X repeater. It is not for use with the FT-911. The FT-991 does not have necessary physical connections, or the necessary firmware to run as a WIRES-X node.

You can use the FT-991 for C4FM over RF to connect to other nodes or repeaters, but there is reason to own an HRI-200 if this is what you want to do.

Admittedly, this is made very unclear in the myriad of pages of information Yaesu has released about Fusion and WIRES-X.

K0AAJ likes this.
  9. N7BUZ

N7BUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an HRI-200 coming this week. My Wires-X works great with my FT3DR linked to my laptop with my FT991A via RF.
    I'll let you know..

10. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to add to my previous post, again for the benefit of any who might come across this...

With the exception of the DR1-X and DR2-X repeaters, any Yaesu radio compatible with the HRI-200 is also capable of connection directly to WIRES-X using the PDN modes and a Windows computer.

If you do not own a Yaesu repeater, the only reason to purchase an HRI-200 is if you wish to host a WIRES-X room.

I have helped out four separate people who bought an HRI-200 believing that it was required in order to use WIRES-X. Don't waste you money for something you do not need / cannot use.