ad: M2Ant-1

Using Hotspot to 'Listen'

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by NCMCCORD, Jun 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
  1. NCMCCORD

NCMCCORD QRZ Member

Hello Hams,

I am new to the amateur side but I've been managing our UHF licensed business system for quite a while. We use commercial Motorola digital handhelds and a few 'mobiles' (in the office) on a direct UHF connection with no repeater. We have 12 licensed frequencies and use about 20 TGs total. With no repeater, we wanted to see if there was a way for staff who weren't in the office to listen to the traffic/maybe connect and be able to talk to the system. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck using a hotspot on a site to act as a radio (use the same frequency/main talk group and hear what all the rest of the radios. We don't use a repeater or anything so I'm curious how a hotspot would work being a 'member' of the direct group. If anyone has any advice or experience I would really appreciate it!

2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

A hotspot connects to the internet, all your radio traffic would have to also be routed through the internet for others to hear that way, plus the associated gear needed to set up a private dmr netrork. You obviously cannot put comercial traffic over ham radio brandmeister as an example