ad: M2Ant-1

Using FT8 with Yaesu FT-1000mp via "PKT" instead of "USB"

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N4VDI, Mar 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4VDI

N4VDI Ham Member QRZ Page

For the past few days, I've been using WSJT-X with my FT-1000MP using USB (with audio from the Timewave Navigator connected to "AF Out" and "Patch" on the rear, instead of the "Packet" connector).

From reading around, I've gotten the impression that I really ought to be using "PKT" mode, and the "Packet" connector on the rear, instead.

Aside from feeding the Navigator's audio out to the "Packet" connector's pins 1 ("data in") and 3 ("ground") instead of "Patch" on the back of the radio, what do I need to change in order to make this work?

I tried changing WSJT-X's File->Settings->Radio->Mode from "USB" to "Data/Packet" after rewiring the cable to send the audio formerly connected to "Patch" to Packet's "data in (1) +ground (3)" pins, but two problems emerged:

1. The mode showed up as "PKT" (red LED) and "LSB" (green LED)

2. When I attempted to transmit (against my better judgment, but hoping it might make everything work out anyway), I got a "Rig control error". Details said it's a Hamlib error, specifically "rig.c(1917):rig_set_mode return while setting current VFO mode".

So... something is obviously very wrong. The question is... what?

Also... do I want to keep using "AF OUT" for audio output from the radio to the Navigator, or do I want to switch it to the "Packet" port? I know that in theory, there's all kinds of added functionality (tuning a wider chunk of adjacent spectrum, or simultaneously tuning two different chunks, or even diversity tuning) that could conceivably exist by using AF OUT instead... but as far as I can tell, WSJT-X doesn't actually support any of this, nor is it on any present development roadmap.

2. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As a quick and dirty test you can try setting the mode to "none" and configure it manually, or if that doesn't work set the radio to "none".

With the FT-1000MP MV Field in USB mode with the input through the microphone according to the manual there are DSP functions applied to the signal. I went through all of the relevant menu settings and turned off all processing. After doing so it seemed like there was an improvement in FT-8 transmissions being decoded in weak conditions.

It did not appear that the DSP functions apply to signals through the Data line. So there appears to be an advantage to getting the Packet port to work. You can keep the microphone line optimized for voice. But you may not be able to do so automatically, at least with the current software version.

FWIW I have a somewhat similar problem with a different radio, a 756 Pro III. WSJT-X works fine on all bands except 6m. To use 6m I have to set the radio to "none".

3. KW4AU

KW4AU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you ever get a resolution to this problem? I get nearly the same error: rig.c(2200):rig_set_mode return while setting current VFO mode".

I was taking the audio from the Ext Speaker jack and feeding audio through the Mic jack. That works fine. I don't know enough about the DSP hindering weak conditions, but I guess I might see improvement if I were able to bypass this and use the Packet jack with my SignaLink. CAT works, but PTT doesn't, and google searches usually send me here or here. I am new enough to this that I'm blindly following these and not getting very far.

I can go back to the Mic jack and have it work fine, but I'd like to learn what these settings mean and why I am getting this error.