Using FT8 to demonstrate Antenna Orientations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Oct 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The MIT cafeteria made a great tuna and bacon sandwich...thanks for taking me back!

M1WML, AA5BK and K8XG like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

KM9G does a great job overall with his videos (and you can see my prior comments on many of them). Obviously my opinions on this one have been negative. However--it would be improper to assume that I am discouraging KM9G from further, actual, experimenting: he, like all of us is licensed under the mission of Part 97.

In fact, I am saying that when bounding into the 'enhance the radio art realm', we all have to be more aware of the standards that Part 97 holds us to. Those standards do not apply with things like interviews, rig reviews, and so on.

Hence the comments.

Chip W1YW

M1WML, KY4GD and AA5BK like this.
  3. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

850 watts on FT8? Copied from the Hinson user guide: Although FT8 is a weak signal mode, not a QRP mode per se, please keep your transmit power down. Be
    nice! Generally on HF, if a path is open, just a few watts will do. Put your amplifier on standby. Turn down the wick to QRP levels. Try it! If you don’t get any
    responses at all, try 10 watts, maybe 20 or 30. If you find that you routinely ‘need’ 100 watts or more, that is a strong hint that your feeder and antenna system are
    inefficient.
    850 watts... you need a better antenna. Note to self...never buy any used equipment from N3RYB.

M1WML, WN1MB, N3RYB and 1 other person like this.
  4. LW1DQY

LW1DQY Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE = "MW1CFN, post: 5985784, member: 506012"] La respuesta a tu pregunta también depende de esa variable absolutamente crítica que prácticamente nadie menciona: el entorno de la antena.

Por ejemplo, para DX, y si trabaja en la playa, una antena vertical superará dramáticamente a cualquier antena de polarización horizontal / mixta, incluso cuando esa antena sea una Yagi 3-ele (o más). Sí, hice la investigación, al igual que muchos otros, y cualquier expedición DX informada a una isla / ubicación costera utilizará verticales.

Para NVIS, bueno, sí, eso puede ser de interés en los EE. UU. Y para los operadores más antiguos de Europa en las bandas más bajas. Las verticales generalmente no son ideales para eso, por supuesto. [/ QUOTE]
    ysi esa antena vertical, la sumerges un poco en su base en agua salada de mar, aumente la calidad,

M1WML likes this.
  5. K3XI

K3XI Ham Member QRZ Page

I will stick with reverse beacon

M1WML, W1YW and NN4RH like this.
  6. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Especially not that Yaesu FL-101 that can do FM on 10m. That said I understand how to operate my equipment within it's limits and an AL-800H yawns at that level of power...

Now my used coax. Yes don't buy that. It's all melted.

What you are missing is I'm trying to work paths that are not reliably open. That is marginal paths where most signals are not going to get through. I like working *dead* bands. That's where the fun is.

Can you buy me more property so I can put up a proper antenna for 160m? In the mean time I've got my coax heating inverted L for down there. Let me also talk to you about how I pretty much fire into the western slope of Blue Ridge....

M1WML, W1YW, M0TTQ and 2 others like this.
  7. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'am not sure I understand you statement that the two thoughts go together Chip.:) Maybe I am over thinking it... locking up on the words "cannot tell anything about the radiation".

Antennas can be modeled and tested on a range, computer or in a chamber. Patterns plotted, performance recorded as to the antenna in a control environment. We all know this.
    Having the long term knowldge of the either as the layers changes with time, time of day, launch angle, radiation, frequency, etc. That study is sure going to be helpful too.

Antenna is a known.... Till the radio gods get a hold of it. Switching antennas and "pinging" the various stations says something about both. The big variable is chasing the ionosphere.

More fun...here's a antenna test platform down the street from me. Those are not model planes in the pictorial selections.

https://www.edwards.af.mil/Units/772nd-Test-Squadron/

CAM

M1WML, KC7ZXY and KM1NDY like this.
  8. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Play Nice !
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    M1WML, KC7ZXY, KM9G and 1 other person like this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Read CAREFULLY.

Since there are TWO COMPONENTS to the propagation --hardware and ionosphere-- you cannot separate the effect of one from the other with this data alone. Thus you CANNOT tell anything about the radiation patterns from this data alone. You cannot tell , in any way, which antenna is 'better' from this data alone.

The 'you' in the quoted post is KM9G in the context of the video so presented.

Why is it that OTHERS understand that completely and you do not?

Please: lecture me about antenna testing. Make it sound like I never have spent a minute doing so, when today ( a good example)I was on the range for 9 hours....and have 4 anechoic ranges at my disposal down the halls from my office. I see a sea of blue wedgies.

Metrology spoken here. I am all ears.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    M1WML and N3RYB like this.