ad: hrd-2

Using FT8 to demonstrate Antenna Orientations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Oct 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what I use. Done over time so you can get a snapshot of conditions. Trying it on FT8 seems ridiculous. Hate to see newbies get mislead by this bunch consistently.

KF0DHQ, KR3DX, AE0Q and 5 others like this.
  2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah these comments……AGAIN. Bore off.

KC7ZXY and M1WML like this.
  3. GW6CZE

GW6CZE Ham Member QRZ Page

totally pointless comparison if they were done 4 - 5 hrs apart

KR3DX, AE0Q and M1WML like this.
  4. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 is also good for comparing fishing lures!

N6SPP, W1YW, KC7JNJ and 7 others like this.
  5. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve:
    I really liked this video.

I have been trying similar studies of propagation with the ZachTek 80to10 desktop WSPR unit. This is a really cool multiband unit that cycles from 80M to 10M at 200mW on my 40M ocf.

My antenna is horizontal and about 5 1/2 feet off the ground in an alleyway in Boston.

You can see my propagation on all of the HF bands minus 160 here: https://www.wsprnet.org/drupal/wsprnet/map

I also like to bring the zachtek unit into the field as it's a stand alone device.

FT8 being more popular than WSPR has been an argument as to why it may be a better propagation tool. I think the receivers for FT8 will be on average less consistent than WSPR though, as people turn off FT8, but leave WSPR running.

I disagree with the posters who deride this as a useful way to look at propagation. I am able to see very distinct patterns in propagation emerging as I monitor my antenna frequently. At some point I will study this in much greater detail, but these weak signal modes are an awesome way to study propagation in my opinion. I have no doubt that there are much fancier lab grade tools available, but for the average ham, I think they are thrilling!

Thanks for the video!

Mindy

G0TVJ, AA5BK, KC7ZXY and 4 others like this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  7. KG5JJ

KG5JJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This missive needs to be filed in the ever-present, always open little black book of non-empirical data, called TMV (Too Many Variables).

YMMV. Batteries not included.

W1YW, KR3DX, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  8. KJ7OX

KJ7OX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this topic and others like it sometimes tend to create more confusion and questions then they provide reasonable simple answers. Many hams are way overthinking, nitpicking, second guessing and worrying too much. Remember, the antenna theory and hard work on all these topics have been done for decades, the answers are simply written in any number of great publications. The ARRL handbook is but one. One doesn't need FT8 to determine basic reasonable outcome as everyone's variables are too many to list as described earlier and, everyone's situation is different and therefore really not always comparable so results will never be the same. It's time hams get back to educating themselves. Bringing antenna efficiency into the forefront should be #1 on everyone's list given the following simple rule... "The DX Triangle". Antenna gain (with efficiency), location, angle of radiation. If you can touch on all three points you're already ahead of the game depending on what you're trying to accomplish. There are many great antennas from limited space to full size which can be quite efficient and affective for local as well as DX. Build and enjoy!

KR3DX, PU2OZT, W1PEP and 1 other person like this.
  9. AD3C

AD3C Ham Member QRZ Page

If it works leave it alone, don't touch it, use it.

G0TVJ, KM9G, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  10. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I seldom criticise the content of YouTube videos and/or the producers of such videos.......but when I do LOL........

Come on....it is FT8. Overthink a situation much. Just throw up a dang antenna, stay under 50 watts, and hit the world if that is what ya like to do.

And, as it has already been addressed, WSPR is perfect for this.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    AA5BK, K0UO, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.