ad: AbAuRe-1

Using fills (voice and digital) to work through fading

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KD8TTE, Sep 12, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8TTE

KD8TTE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How can we efficiently get a message if we didn't get the whole thing on the first transmission? The term of art is "fill," and we have procedures for it with both voice and digital. This week, we show examples for a quick fill and a longer fill provided by a relay station, and then go on to look at digital procedure.

We present how digital opens the door for more sophisticated "checksums" to detect and to correct errors. We describe and illustrate the process of using "blocks" of data with their own checksums to provide digital fills. The concept shows how Amateur Multicast Protocol (AMP) provides the ability for fills and relays similar to how it's done with voice.

The video premiers at 2330Z this evening.

KC7JNJ and CA3FJK like this.
  2. CA3FJK

CA3FJK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

where I can look at format of the voice message structure?

3. KD8TTE

KD8TTE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The nice thing about these formats is that they're the same whether written or voiced. There's obviously different procedure for text and voice, but they follow the same structure. I cover the amateur radiogram and the 16-line basic message format in several videos. A few pointers to help you find the stuff you're looking for:
    * Playlist: Radiograms and Radio Messaging (covers both formats and various conditions)
    * Video: Your First Amateur Radiogram (Simple introduction):
    * Video: Basic Message Format (Part 1 of 3):
    * Video: Encapsulation (How to get something originated in a particular format like ICS 213 to be carried in a format for transmission and back again):

I hope that helps! 73