Using DM780 to decode morse

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by MW3YMY, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. G0HKC

G0HKC Ham Member QRZ Page

DM780 and CW

Ah, but when I press CW on the GUI all the options are greyed out despite being slected in the options
    BTW winkeyer works ok on HRD, any suggestions please
    Keith

2. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Matt
    In order to select WinKey you need to have a Winkeyer from K1EL hooked up to your computer.

The Winkeyer allows you to send true CW by using the key jack on your rig. Without that Winkeyer hooked up you need to select MCW to decode your incoming CW signals. MCW in the send mode only works on SSB as it sends modulated CW on SSB.

I have a Winkeyer USB here which works well.

As others have said CW is hard to decode with software. Unless it is well sent, spaced properly DM780 will not decode it properly. Instead of seeing O you might see T T T if the O is not sent properly. Forget decoding anyone using a BUG! ( I can't do that in my head either, no matter how slow they go :D)

A little story. Years ago I had a Commodore C64 and an AEA PK64 modem that did RTTY and true CW. I ran across an oldtimer late one night on 80 M sending high speed CQ's.

The PK64 copied that CW just fine. So I went back to this guy who was sending at approx. 50 wpm. During the QSO he told me he copied in his head but sent with a keyboard. The reason for this was that he and his buddies could all copy code up to 60 wpm if it was perfect CW. So they used keyboards and modems to send and copied in their heads. That way everyone sent perfectly spaced CW with the proper spacing etc. Made sense to me.

We rattled along at about 45 wpm, he copied in his head, I copied with the software and we both used keyboards to send. No way I can copy speeds like that in my head!

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  3. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's the answer to the original question -
    You have it working for PSK31 you said. Ok, right where you select PSK31 you click and a drop down box appears with all the various modes to choose from. Select CW. Then when you have a cw signal visible on the waterfall select it just like you do for PSK31. Then notice right below where you selected CW there is a horizontal blue bar that moves when there is a signal tuned in. It is like a threshold level indicator. Make sure that when there is cw being heard that that bar goes past the marker - to the right. If the signal is not strong enough, move the bar till the blue part goes past your marker, suddenly you will see cw decoded.

You might also try FLDIGI. For me it worked much better, faster, easier. It copied W1AW at 35 wpm error free for me yesterday. How do I know? Because I copy the cw with my other computer (in my head) as well, but it doesn't have a display or a printer !

Rick K2XT

4. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Another thread resurrected from the dead !

However, since I had quite a few posts in it, I think I will mention some additional thoughts. "CW-Get" is one of the better programs out there for receiving CW. And it has a companion program, appropriately called "CW-Send" if I recall correctly !

The program also has a threshold line, and the square waves formed by the tones ( you will understand when you see the GUI ) have to cross above that line, which is, of course, variable.

Good luck ! 73, Jim

5. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if an app that used a software "pll" to detect the presence and absence of a cw sig would eliminate the false detection?

6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DM780, CWGet, and FLDIGI all do a fairly good job on machine sent code under decent conditions. Most of the time, I can let any of them copy W1AW at any speed, just fine. People sending with keyboards are also usually pretty easy.
    The problem with hand sent code is the spacing. Spacing between characters, words, and even the elements of the characters varies, and it takes that special quality of the human mind to be able to overlook the 'garbage in' to avoid getting 'garbage out'.

7. 2E0RPS

2E0RPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if this has been covered. On CW decoding you need to lower the squelch. much lower than PSK.

8. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

FLDigi seems to decode Morse without any problems, try that.

G0GQK

9. MW3YMY

MW3YMY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the extra replies everyone.

Since originally posting this thread in March 09, I've taken the time to learn CW properly and am loving it.

Thanks again!

10. KR6ER

KR6ER Ham Member QRZ Page

AG3Y: what did you mean when you said the GUI button?

KR6ER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.