Using an ATU + digital interface on a FT-897D

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VE2TDT, Dec 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE2TDT

VE2TDT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings,

Simple question: On the Ft-897D acc1 port is used for both ATU and digital interface. Problem is you have to disconnect the tuner control cable to plug in the digital interface after switching bands.

Is there a way around this ? Some sort of interface that could manage this ?

73 DE VE2TDT Erik

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe this will help you?
    When I had my FT 897D I used an MFJ 929 ATU. I did have the interface cable but did not use it. To activate the the tuner all I had to do was to key the radio so a carrier would be sent to the ATU. The tuner would do its job.

Barry, KU3X

3. VE2TDT

Thank you very much for the idea. Was this fully auto tuning feature turned off when the ATU itself was turned off ?

4. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's funny how different minds work. My solution would be to use a manual antenna tuner.

5. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't totally understand your question? I did not go in the setup menu of the MFJ 929 and tell it that I was interfacing it with a radio, if that's what you mean?

The only change I made to the MFJ was to tell it not to stop hunting for a match until it found a perfect 1 to 1 match. If it could not find a perfect match, it would do the best it could and maybe stop at 1.3 to 1. But, it would try for a perfect match first.

Now I am entering into, "choice of tuners" and I don't think you are asking that?

Barry

6. VE2TDT

Sorry if I'm not making myself clear. The wife says that to me all the time HI

You did answer my question: my REAL question was "Do I have to configure the ATU to do that every time it is powered on ?"

Just ordered one from DX Engineering.

73's

7. VE2TDT

That's what I'm doing at the moment but it doesn't allow for rapid band switching.

Love my Dentron Super Tuner though. I could tune the neighbor's fence if he ever starts complaining about my antenna HI

73's

8. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a Dentron tuner. Yes, those things would load a washing machine. Hi Hi

The MFJ 929 is pretty neat, if that's what you ordered. When you turn the radio on, tune the ATU on. Just another button to hit.
    It does have a memory for band changing but if you depend on just talking into the mic for ATU band change, it will usually drive the tuner nuts.
    The fastest way is to put the radio in either AM and key the mic. The tuner will remember and band change will take about 1 second or less, depending on the part of the band you are in compared to the part of the band you left.

Here's why I chose the MFJ 929.

https://ae2c0be0-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites...0LApaa25RfoogqbYSwlMUu7LZPLg==&attredirects=0

Barry, KU3X