Using a VHF / UHF SWR meter on HF

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VK4JJ, Jul 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually I used CB branded SWR meters on 160 and 80 M, just needed a bit more power to get a Good SWR calibration mark reading.

2. N1EBC

N1EBC Ham Member QRZ Page

i was thinking more like if he had an SWR problem and burned up his finals.
    nosaj
    N1EBC

3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Using a VHF wattmeter on HF is like putting VHF slug in a Bird and using it on HF. Nothing bad happens either to the Bird or to the HF rig. The readings are just a bit too low to be useful...

WA9SVD and VK4JJ like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I try not to shoot birds.:(

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

There shouldn't be a way to harm the radio, BUT>>> the meter MAY not handle the amount of power used @ HF, and it's calibration may not be entirely accurate. Typically, a VHF/UHF meter WILL use strip-line bridge construction, rather than a "toroid" transformer design often used on HF only meters; Such a bridge may NOT be sensitive enough to give an accurate reading at HF with a reasonable amount of power. (I.e., a few watts at most.) The Watt meter function will most likely NOT be accurate at all.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It may well depend on actual construction style and manufacturer (and maybe even individual care in construction) , but at least SOME "CB" type SWR meters can actually be used up through 2 Meters. It depends upon how "symmetrical" the forward and reverse portions of the bridge are, as well ac actual (SHORT leads) construction method.
    (On the other hand, I've seen some "CB" type SWR Meters that weren't accurate or even useful above 10 MHz!:(:mad:)

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Use a VHF-UHF SWR meter on HF?

Bad idea, as it will cause all the waves to squeeze closer together.:)

WA9SVD likes this.