Using a triplexer on 6/2/440 with dual output ICOMs?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K3RW, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up a triplexer as part of a package set of stacked M2 halo antennas for 2, 432, and 6m. Good deal. I'd like to run as a rover in the future and have it on the base station running one feedline.

Problem is, as far as I know, all the ICOMs I have that that 6, 2, 70cm (7100, 706MKIIG) have a VHF/UHF out separate from the HF+6 out. Looks like the HF output having 6m on it makes this impossible to use a triplexer for all three bands and running one feedline from the rig.

I can see using it to run separate antennas on 2 and 432, using it on the VHF/UHF out as a diplexer, but not as a triplexer. Any way I can? No biggie if I can't.

Only rigs I'm aware of that had 6m outs combined with the 2 and 440 ones were HTs or FM-mobile rigs. But I'm running primarily SSB.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd run separate feedlines for each.

And for "roving," I do. For roving, feedlines are very short and it's easy to bring in 3-4-5-6 of them.

K3RW likes this.
  3. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Quick other question for ya...

I'm building a 5GHz station with a FPV drone transmitter and a receiver. If I can get it to work reliably, I'd like to up it to a dish antenna with about 30dB gain, buy the same set again, and buy another dish for the other kit.

To avoid needing to buy 4 dishes, with the receiver and the transmitter separate, what do I need to be able to use one dish per kit? A bias-tee? Something else?

Not sure how to do it without sending RF down the receiver. At least for now I can quickly change it over, but that's a hassle.

4. WB2WIK

You need a way to switch from TX to RX; then one antenna will work fine unless for some reason you need for work full duplex, which would be pretty unusual in the amateur bands.

"Most" on 5.7 GHz are using SSB.

K3RW likes this.
  5. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I may step on up sometime and get a real transverter so I can run SSB. The FPV drone stuff is maybe $15 for a transmitter depending on its output (up to 1000mW) and maybe a bit more with the receiver. Amps up to 4w may be only $25 but who knows how clean the signal is. But the mode is wideband FM. The BATC ATV guys who are already doing it--for ATV. Most drone things are for video but also have audio, just no one ever uses it. Running just right, they are getting decent range on 14dB panel antennas in the UK and running it as ATV. Maybe with a dish at both ends and running higher power it may work despite the wideband FM problem.

Goal is to setup one as a rover, send the Elmer on that one, and from my fixed site atop a mountain get VUCC this way. 5 grids seems doable from the site I looked at, very close to 3 of them, shooting across the parking lot gives 1 more, and the longest haul maybe being 40 miles--hoping 2 dishes firing away with near direct LOS can pull in that last grid. But it may be ambitious. But we worked 2GHz from the same site, more than double the distance away with a dish atop the mountain and a cheapo Ebay $20 wifi antenna--running FM (narrowband though). First grid is a freebie :)

EIRP on this setup running maybe 3w to the 30dB dishes on both ends--if it can't do it, then its transverter time. But was hoping for a cheap(er) experiment. ;)

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

30 db antennas at each end should work with 1 watt transmitters, assuming true LOS. We run some very long 5.8GHz links on some ham sites out here, 24/7. But we have higher gain antennas but only run about .25 watt. The real key is a line of sight path. Almost anything blocking it at that range and that frequency will kill it.

K3RW likes this.
  7. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

What are you guys using for your antenna setup?

8. WB2WIK

I've worked 7 grids (I think, it was in 2010) on 5.7 GHz SSB from a "normal" home station setup at N6NB's place in Orange County, CA. About 3 or 5W output if I recall, with the transverter atop the 70' tower right behind the small dish (30" maybe? -- something like that) so the transmission line was very short. Dual-band dish feed used on 5.7 and 10.3 GHz.

Cables from shack to tower were 14Vdc using heavy-gauge copper extension cord and small coax for the baseband up/down, plus the rotator cable.

During VHF-UHF contests, there's substantial activity on 5.7 (contesters/rovers) for about two days at a time, then it mostly goes away until the next one.:p SSB has a huge advantage over WBFM, or even NBFM. Other than maybe two of the grids, none of those contacts were LOS, but the antenna was well above local obstructions and foliage.

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

These are point to point links with 3 to 12 foot parabolic antennas, depending on site location. One site we have has a 3' dish aiming at a remote site 60 miles away which has a 12' dish antenna. Between the two antennas, the gain is enough to create a solid path link 99.98% of the time. The radios are 250mW spread spectrum commercial microwave units.

K3RW likes this.
  10. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW--What kind of gain is that? 100dB or something?

I can swing a 3 or 4 foot dish if I can figure out how to build the feed for it, but 12--jeez that's like an old C-band dish. Doubt I could make that a rover! But probably works great :)