ad: HamHats-1

Using a RTL SDR Dongle to receive pictures from the ISS

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Aug 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you know the International Space Station (ISS) periodically sends SSTV (slow scan television) images over the air? You can decode them too using an RTL SDR software defined radio dongle which is around $30-$50. A simple antenna is all that is needed.

KO4MAQ, VU2EAF, K4VTE and 10 others like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The V3 is way cool. :)

M1WML likes this.
  3. K4VMG

K4VMG QRZ Lifetime Member #302 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Excellent watch, thank you

M1WML and VK7HH like this.
  4. IU4BIP

IU4BIP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Many thanks, i’ll try with my new ic-705, fantastic receiver.
    73s

5. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Been decoding SSTV since the 80's with a Robot 400 & then modified for 36 sec. B & W. Also used some surplus Fax drum machines HF Fax using the old thermal paper. How times have changed !!!

KF4ZKU, M1WML and VK7HH like this.
  6. VK7HH

I also have an Airspy that I acquired after this video was made. It's pretty good too, but more expensive

M1WML likes this.
  7. VK7HH

Awesome, SSTV is sent fairly regularly on the ISS now, so the next time they schedule it to be sent, give it a go!

M1WML likes this.
  8. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

9. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats another good way to decode the SSTV signal of the ISS. The most problem is the frequency shift, to get the pictures completly. So there is to change the frequency within the transmission from -10 kHz (AOS) to the Center Frequency (TCA) and up to +10 kHz (LOS). Or in another words the time when the ISS is approaching, is in the center above of the receiver and leaves then the area of the receiver. The typical things which are important for every satellite operations. To the used antenna, I think it was good enough. In my experience the best timeframe for receiving is about 6 minutes long. I used a small vertical too.

M1WML likes this.
  10. KY4K

KY4K Ham Member QRZ Page

I used the radio in the car and Robot 36 app on my phone and it worked great..... They are doing SSTV again Aug 6 - 7 if you want to try it.

KF4ZKU, M1WML and VK7HH like this.
  11. G6YZC

G6YZC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As part of the Front Range 6m groups zoom meetings N0AN has made a very nice video on how to optimize your Airspy R2 for VHF.

I certainly learnt a lot about what settings work best with the R2 and SDR Console V3 for 6m.

Paul N2EME

12. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent! Thanks for posting.

13. K9XN

K9XN QRZ Lifetime Member #330 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

14. VK7HH

Yes doppler shift can be a pain, but in this case I think the results were rather good considering I didn't compensate for it as you rightly said.

M1WML likes this.
  15. VK7HH

Oh great! I better share out the dates so some can have a go. The mobile app is a great way to do it too.

M1WML likes this.