using a power supply to charge a battery.

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KC9NEQ, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't constantly charge it. I only charge it when the Astron RS-20 is turned on and 13.8 vdc will not overcharge a 12v lead-acid battery. Your attempt at a strawman is noted.

I don't count the cycles. My deep discharge marine batteries die of old age after far outliving their warranties. (P.S. I'm a EE and have been a ham for 55 years. As a SCADA engineer, I am familiar with battery backup systems.)

Sorry to disappoint you but here's a photograph of the battery. Enlarge it and you will find "Trolling, Starting, Deep Cycle, RV, and marine." It is a 125 AH battery.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  2. KD5ZPG

KD5ZPG Ham Member QRZ Page

A battery maintainer is not that expensive. They de-sulfate when necessary, recharges and maintains your battery until you need it.

Tbar

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

True. But what we're talking about is float charged batteries, ones that are never out of the circuit.

Those maintainers are good for keeping an unused battery in a ready state, no question.

Joe

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

::I think the only important things here are that the battery's obviously doing the job, servicing this application, and if it's outlasting its warranty (and those are often pretty optimistic) then you're obviously not damaging it.

I had (wish I still did, sometimes) an Army tank battery for about 5-6 years. Those are like car batteries but about four times larger and heavier and I don't know if they're actually designed differently or not (got differing answers, depending who I asked), but they were rated to be "stored" at any temperature from -30F to +140F for 12 months, and then still be able to crank start the tank. I know I have no car batteries that will do that! The tank battery probably weighed 120 lbs and was very difficult to move without a dolly, but it sure made "battery powered" Field Days very easy. I could run 4 stations from the same battery all weekend, and the terminal voltage would only drop about 200mV from the starting voltage.

WB2WIK/6

5. ce3avn

ce3avn QRZ Member

I THINK a battery is an expensive component , then we want a long last. Then we need a rectifier with controlled Float Voltage acording to manufct. data. for instatance 2.15 to 2.3 Volts / celd ( 13.8 total Volts for 12 volts batt). . The rectifier must have a current limiting output to prevent fuse operation in cases when a deep discharged batt must be charged. The charge must controlled and not be greater than ( a wise nemo advice) 10% of batt capacity in Amp Hr. ( Exmpl a 100 Amp Hr batt must be charged at 10 Amp maxim....if electrolititic Tº is not greater than 104 º F or 40ºC). The rectifier must have a low ripple current to prevent an increase of an anormal heat dissipation in its plates to allow prematuraly lost of active layer of plate an finally the Tº of room where the battery is charged must be " fresh" or about 72 ºF idealy or at least not greater than than not greater than 80ºF. This rules are usefull but not ever can be applied. I´m so sorry but I dont remeber more " gods" rules and Sorry by my bad english..
    CE3 AVN ( quote)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.